Direct I-9 Assignments

Does anyone know how to get direct I-9 assignments without having to go through a signing company?

@signaturexpeditors :thinking::thought_balloon: The Search Function will prove helpful in this instance:

Accessing the database to locate info about potential clients has saved many of us an inordinate amount of time ā€˜chasingā€™ payments for Services professionally provided to potential non-payers . . .

Iā€™ve inserted an image for you & others [see below] to help members locate it to unlock the wisdom & knowledge of other members on the forums.

======

Additionally, you may find this thread and especially the post below insightful & helpful . . .

Accessing the database to locate info about potential clients has saved many of us an inordinate amount of time ā€˜chasingā€™ payments for Services professionally provided to potential non-payers . . .

:swan:

1 Like

@ cNsa5 Thank you for the information, but I have already searched using the Search option and there was no information pertaining to my question. None of the attached information answers my question, but thank you I appreciate it.

@signaturexpeditors Most Welcome. :pray:

In particular, thought this might be helpful as well within that thread . . . however, you may have already completed submission & receiving the appropriate authorization (if applicable) from your state.

For Example, within the state of CA:

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I will review the information in the thread.

1 Like

Also, wondering if youā€™ve completed an in-person visit to Human Resources [HR] departments in businesses located near your base location . . .

If I was seeking a steady stream of that work type, thatā€™s where Iā€™d begin. Also, ask the HR representatives where a good location would be to place/advertise your services for this work type.

1 Like

First to be said is I love your website - very well developed and inclusive.
Add that service to your website AND to all the profiles you have on various listing sites, business listings and signing platforms. Eventually, someone searching google for ā€œI-9ā€ will have your name pop up.

Your might also try contacting various local businesses to see if they need someone to help with these - my understanding is every business MUST keep one of these on file for each employee (I had to do one when I worked in an attorneyā€™s office - one attorney, one employee - me - he had to keep that on file). Keep in mind these are not notarized - any third party can fill it out and sign it provided they have seen the ID and confirmed.

In short, IMO itā€™s all in your own advertisingā€¦add that to your value added services.

Good luck

1 Like

Thank you kindly, Linda. I built my own site, as I am also a techie by career. I have been updating it a lot lately so I will make those required changes to reflect the I-9 portion. I have it listed under my Services tab as I-9 Authorized Representative. I will begin to make contact with companies to get my name out there.

Thanks again Linda!

I think it is misleading to suggest everyone check with their state about whether notaries, while not acting in the role of a notary, may complete I-9s as a representative of the employer. As far as I can tell, California is the only state that has this requirement. There are other states that regulate assisting with immigration documents by non-lawyers, but California is the only state that treats the I-9 as an immigration document.

1 Like

@ashton ===>>> "You do you . . . "

=====

Iā€™ve never been one who believes in making assumptions about anything, especially when it comes to rules & regulations across a wide variety of states & jurisdictions. So, definitively NOT interested considering input about assuming things . . . involves too much inherent risk.

Considering that the USCIS has authorized all companies to complete these remotely through E-Verify on their own, without the need for in person verification any longer (starting in November) I donā€™t think I-9 are going to be a thing for notaries much longer. And as for asking local companies, why would they bother? It would be done in house.

If they use remote workers -

Just last week, I had a company contact me about performing I-9 authorizations. All I had to do was sit in front of a computer with the employees, verify that the passports provided were valid, and read the information from them.

I found a link describing the new live-video remote verification rules for form I-9. It appears to me that it became possible to use the new procedure beginning August 1, 2023. What happens on November 1, 2023 is the old version of the form is no longer allowed and the new version must be used.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing. This is very informative.

Federal Register :: Optional Alternative 1 to the Physical Document Examination Associated With Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9) See, as this catches on, it will replace the notary role to a large degree. Up until now, with the exception of COVID, we have long been the ā€œalternate procedure.ā€ With the economy like it is, why would companies want to pay for this when they can get it for free? A lot of them will reimburse an employee for using a notary, but I just canā€™t see these new permanent rules affecting notaries and I9.

1 Like

When I have gotten I-9 assignments, the person found me through online google search. It is listed as a service I provide on my Google Business Page and my website.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think that can be done online anymore.

WASHINGTON ā€“ The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) announced today that employers will have 30 days to reach compliance with Form I-9 requirements after the COVID-19 flexibilities sunset on July 31, 2023. These flexibilities were first announced in March 2020 and subsequently extended throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. DHS encourages employers who have been using those temporary flexibilities to plan ahead to ensure that all required physical inspection of identity and employment eligibility documents is completed by Aug. 30, 2023.

This is the source.

"If you are an employer who was enrolled in E-Verify when you performed a remote examination of your employeeā€™s Form I-9 documentation under the COVID-19 flexibilities between March 20, 2020, and July 31, 2023, and created an E-Verify case for that employeeā€¦

You may choose to use the new alternative procedure starting on August 1, 2023, to satisfy the physical document examination requirement by August 30, 2023

Or

You may choose to complete an in-person physical document examination by August 30, 2023.

(If you already conducted an in-person physical examination of documents, no action is needed.)

If you choose to use the new alternative procedure, you must remotely examine the employeeā€™s Form I-9 documents by conducting a live video interaction for each employee whose documents were examined remotely under the temporary flexibilities but never in-person physically examined.

Note: If you previously used fax, email, or a live video interaction during the COVID-19 flexibilities to examine your employeeā€™s documents, you must conduct a live video interaction by August 30, 2023.

You must annotate Form I-9 with ā€œalternative procedure,ā€ the date of the second remote document examination, and your initials in Section 2, Additional Information field or in Section 3, as appropriate. You should have already annotated the date of the first

remote document examination. This new annotation should be placed near the previous annotation.

You must not create another E-Verify case based on the second remote document examination."

Source

Yes, add it to your services on your Google Business Profile.

1 Like