Do you accept tips or gifts from signers? What is your policy on a tip?

No thanks………………….…….

2 Likes

Nothing in my state against it, and I do not see a problem. Everything quoted above is regarding fees, and accepting a tip is not the same as charging/collecting/etc. It is an unsolicited gratuity being offered by the signer as “gratitude” for a doing a great job. I recently had a great signing with a couple, and as I was leaving the husband stuck something in my shirt pocket. Clearly it was a tip, but I did not want to be rude and check while I was there. When I got to my car I checked, and it was $200. It was a VERY large loan, and he insisted it was the best closing he’s ever done. Yeah … I think it’s acceptable to receive a signer’s expression of gratitude to you.

3 Likes

I have accepted tips on a handful of occasions when offered…if the borrower insisted. I was sure to tell them that they were under no obligation to do so. I have never specifically been told by any hiring company that tips are not allowed. The way I see it, if they don’t want us to accept tips, then they should pay us decent fees to begin with.

2 Likes

I am okay now with accepting tips. In my area it is common for many services. Most notaries already have low enough fees. Sometimes it is really nice thing with the cost of things, many time consuming the appointments. Last week, I gladly accepted a $20 tip after the appointment lasted longer than anticipated. The week before I took a $5 tip because I had no change on me to give to the client, he said to please keep the $5. I think it is common, especially with general mobile notary work to receive tips at times.

Yeah there is a difference with receiving tips than paying off or bribing someone, now that is illegal.

I usually respond asking them to make a donation to the local food bank or animal shelter, both of which are dear to me.

1 Like

You probably have a better chance of that donation being made if you accept the tip and donate it yourself.

1 Like

My request is also a marketing ploy. It tells them I’m invested in my local community; it gives them the warm tingles. I still make donations on my own accord. :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.