Fee's for Additional Services (Scan or Fax Backs) SERVICELINK 🤦‍♂️

The scanner runs off the power in my laptop. I have NEVER used electricity, either in the client’s home or in my car. Not sure where it was assumed that I plugged it in.

Secondly, I can view the docs after they are scanned, move them around if they are out of order , add to the scan if I forgot one or flip it around.

Lastly, I NEVER use the client’s internet. I have a secured hotspot on my phone in which to send them. Again, I am not sure where it was assumed that I used the signer’s internet.

My response was based on the condescending responses on many assumptions.

Thant’s all.

1 Like

Kudos to you, Kina. KUDOS. Sorry you took my post as offensive condescension. I wish you the best.

What scanner do you use that gets its power from the laptop, assuming it’s the USB port. I’ve not seen any scanners that could run on that low level of power that I’d consider up to scanning 80-200 pages. Or are you scanning each page individually, one at a time with the scanner powered by your laptop?

1 Like

Brother ADS-1250w and I connect the cable to the USB port on my laptop. No problems at all scanning 200 pages and it doesn’t use up that much of the battery on the laptop.

The tray holds 25 pages, so I just hit “add pages” when those run through and add another 25 pages. It has paid for itself by saving me on gasoline to have it in my bag instead of running home to scan.

Mine has wireless capabilities but you would need a power source to use it.

1 Like

(CA) Y’all need to move this thread to the Technology page.

1 Like

Agreed! I prefer scanning to mailing and I’m seeing more of that.

There is a certain value for the notary to do that, but is it really worth it to make an extra trip back to your office to scan and then back out to Fedex or UPS when you aren’t required to and are not getting paid extra to do it? The off-chance that your butt will be saved on some rare occasion is not worth the extra time and expense of doing that on every file, whether you need to or not. Just my opinion.

1 Like

Almost every file that requires scanbacks also requires shipping the physical package back…except maybe one-page documents or corrections.

1 Like

I have a portable scanner in my car that runs off the power on my laptop. I’m not sure what the issue is.

what scanner do you use if I may ask?

1 Like

The Hidden Costs of Being a Mobile Notary: A Case Study

Recently, I received an offer from an anonymous Escrow/Title/Signing Service. The signing fee paid by the borrower, separate from the settlement fee, was listed as $220 on the Closing Disclosure (CD). This fee, they claimed, was assigned to the notary. However, upon closer inspection, the reality of the situation became clear.

Breaking Down the Costs

To fully understand the financial implications of this job, let’s break down the costs:

1. Stamps: The job required 17 stamps, each costing $5.00, totaling $85.00.
  2. Printing: The documents amounted to 418 pages, with each page costing $0.06 to print. This added up to $25.08.
  3. Travel to Signing: The cost of travel, including vehicle maintenance, insurance, and gas, came to $0.625 per mile. Given that the signing location was 11 miles away, this equated to $6.875.
  4. Preparation: Two hours of preparation, which included printing, setting the appointment, and travel to and from the location, was valued at $40.00.
  5. Scan Backs: Scanning the documents back cost $0.01 per page. For 418 pages, this came to $4.18.
  6. Trip to UPS: The trip to UPS to drop off the package was 4 miles, costing $2.50.

Adding up all these costs, the total expenditure for this signing was approximately $163.64. This is a significant amount, especially considering that it doesn’t include any profit margin or compensation for the notary’s time and expertise.

The Offer vs Reality

The offer from the anonymous service was $70. At first glance, this might seem like a decent amount, especially when compared to wages in other industries. However, when you subtract the total cost of $163.64 from the offer, you’re left with a loss of $93.64.

The Hidden Costs

The excitement of earning more as a mobile notary can quickly fade when you realize the hidden costs. Expenses such as buying another printer, taking the car to the mechanic, paying for the increase in the price of paper, toner, and other supplies can quickly add up. These are costs that you, as the notary, will have to bear.

A Call to Action

If notaries continue to accept such orders, these companies will persist in their claim that they can’t pay more because “that’s what the market is paying”. However, this is not a sustainable way to do business. As notaries, we must ensure that we are at least breaking even.

Being a mobile notary can be a rewarding and profitable profession, but it’s essential to be aware of the true costs involved. Always do the math before accepting an offer to ensure it’s financially viable. Remember, your skills and services are valuable, and it’s important to ensure you’re adequately compensated for your time and effort.

4 Likes

I just completed a job last week. When they originally called I countered (it was really low price).
Young man said he couldn’t do it. Told him good luck. The next notary low ball and then didn’t show. Closing attorney called me, asked if I would do the signing, he didn’t feel I was being unreasonable in my cost. Originial guy called me back and I got $60 more than I originally requested .If he had just agreed the first time. (He made the comment that he would pay me out of pocket if he had to for me to take the assignment. Told him, better his pocket than mine. I really think he wanted me to feel sorry for him!) I was hesitant because it is so competitive around here but hey…they pay for good work ethics!

1 Like

I’m interested in what type of scanner. It can be a hassle to go home to scan and then back out to ship. I’m 10 minutes outside of town. THAT alone cuts into profit.

The Brother ADS-1250W runs off the power in my laptop. The public library is across from FedEx and I pop in there, grab a table and take care of my scanning and uploads. I am also able to review the scan before uploading. Both the laptop and scanner fit into my rolling laptop bag very easily.

I have tried to do it in the trunk of car but it’s a bit clumsy since I need to have out both devices. If I had an SUV, it would be easy to do it in the car.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/8453048/Brother-ADS-1250W-Wireless-Portable-Color/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&mediacampaignid=71700000096441899_17451447826&gclid=CjwKCAjw1MajBhAcEiwAagW9MWKL1hS1GuOEs_ur6rcnTOUocnu8PJVbTEFfjVO5vNAGjj0MbsJGQRoC2tUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Brother ADS-1250W. I believe Epson has a similar model.
https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/8453048/Brother-ADS-1250W-Wireless-Portable-Color/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&mediacampaignid=71700000096441899_17451447826&gclid=CjwKCAjw1MajBhAcEiwAagW9MWKL1hS1GuOEs_ur6rcnTOUocnu8PJVbTEFfjVO5vNAGjj0MbsJGQRoC2tUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

1 Like

It’s for these reasons I’ve scaled back my NSA business. I still handle legal, venture capital, personal injury, and Estate engagements. They don’t come through too often but they pay better per each engagement.

2 Likes

I thank you! I am going to look into this. Convenience is not available in this area. Rural, rural, rural however, in some cases there is a Starbucks that could possibly be used? Would take a lot of mileage and expense away. I’m going to check into this scanner. Thanks again!

I pop into a library, Starbucks, Panera or McDonalds. Since the scanner runs off my laptop battery, I don’t need electricity. I had a Saturday closing this morning at a Real Estate office and scanned as the realtor, signer and I were talking after the closing. I was able to go directly from there to FedEx and not run home to scan before dropping.
I do have a faster scanner that I could take with me but electricity is required. The small scanner is very convenient and never leaves my car.

I usually have it in my first bid. If there are scan backs I usually charge $ 25 more. I don’t sort it out to them I just give my first bid like $ 125 or $ 150 if it is like 100 pages or more.