Finally..a reality check as to how much a notary earns

Sadly 2020 was not an ordinary year to compare. It put sugarplums in everyone’s dreams. 2020 was my best year ever (almost 2 decades) due to better fees and demand due to so many people not willing to work. Those of us that opted to work were working like maniacs (8-12 closings a day for months) and doing hands down the best ever. Now, if they did that survey 2021-2022 you’d find those numbers are drastically low- so low most aren’t making a real living.

1 Like

I know it must be hard having the best year of your life in notary in 2020 only to have that taken away by newbies.

Concurred. 100% true!

Just my personal experience, but you don’t have to sacrifice work/life balance to still do extremely well. You can do 3-4 signings a day if you have mostly or all direct signings. I’m home every night with my kids by 6:30-7(daycare closes at 6:30) and my wife.
I hustled when I first started with low fees but market direct every week and have developed relationships with my clients.

2 Likes

Congratulations! Welcome to the club!

1 Like

You got that right …Yep!
I don’t work for free!

Thank you for pointing that out. What happened in 2020 will probably never be repeated unless this country goes for zero percent financing. Then we won’t be able to keep our wits about ourselves. I sat out 6 months of 2020 due to health risks but was right back in the mix after the vaccination became available. I was able to negotiate higher fees for time and distance and was rarely turned down. In order to understand just how much notaries really earn, the survey should have gone forward to 2022 when the cost of gas and supplies reached skyward and the fees tumbled. Many beloved signing companies went out of business, sometimes taking the fees they owed us with them.