Help when Borrower not responding

Yep, agree. I finally had to leave a message apologizing for my error, but explaining they might not close the loan and may loose their loan lock if they do not get back to me. I ended by saying I didn’t think they wanted to start the whole process again. They called back.

1 Like

Hi
Absolutely not I’d say., let the borrower know the documents will be kicked back w/o getting a quick initial from her that you’d missed and profusely apologize… if it’s a refi (owner occupied) with a RTC, wait till next day bit always ask Signing company and/or title company how to proceed…
Moving forward I’m sure you learned your lesson as I have done in the past and definitely hand the mortgage one page at a time to be accurate, then a final review at the end., (I say,” this is your new mortgage or deed that will be filed in your county, I look at the date to match closing date and that bakes are spelled correctly, then I say it’s 13 pages and ea h page must be initialed and then begin… I even allow them to initial my acknowledgment page before I finish it fir accuracy…
If the next day the borrower still had no contact with you then call the agency and/or title company and have them advise you or even call the borrower on your behalf… always remember if a signing agency was used, don’t skip them as it’s like tank in the military… recognize that the agency who assigned it to you is there to guide and help… even if the title company calls you direct, let the signing company know everything…
Best Regards
Jody Pope

Contact the EO to let her know what has happened and let her contact the borrower to quickly meet with you. Tell the signer there may be a delay in his closing which could cost him. Good luck! :wink:

Thanks for the new word for my vocabulary…“Recalcitrant-hard to deal with, manage, or operate.”

I’m a bit of a wordsmith and I LOVE adding new words to my repitoire! :smiley:

Glad this is over. I sent everything in right away. title said not to worry, they would handle it. No use when I told the signer it would hold up the closing. Still no response. I get stressed a bit every time you guys respond, although I know everyone means well.

1 Like

Even for the most seasoned notaries it is easy to miss an initial, a signature a stamp, filling in the person’s name, the change of location (different county) on and on. On a purchase you need to ship right away after making a reasonable effort to contact the buyer. On an owner occupied refi, you might consider delaying one day. When I first started out I would ask at the table if the signer missed an initial, whether I had the permission to initial on their behalf? I would send a text or call explaining the missing item. Most signers would give me permission. On key documents missing a signature I would let them know that any missing signature could result in a redraw or at minimum a delay.
Your experience on a purchase is rare, most signers are eager to complete the packet.
I once raced to meet a client on his lunch break for a notarized document for a Florida property. They were moving within a few days and I wanted the package to be complete. I never got that document signed because I was in a car accident and went to the ER. I called the Escrow officer directly and told her I was unable to get the document signed. She told me she didn’t need it to fund even though it was notarized.
Try your best, but don’t get hurt.

J

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.