Answered Thanks...Home Address vs Business Mailing

Hi,
I have a serious question to ask… My business is registered with a P.O. Box at UPS with a street address as an LLC entity with the state in a city that’s 40 miles away in an downtown area. I don’t physically see clients there, just using it as a mailing bc I’m mobile. However, my business checking has this same address too. But signing up for contracting companies, I’m using my business entity but with my home address instead of UPS. Will this cause a problem? Should I change my address with the state and with my business account to my home address that I don’t see clients at neither. This maybe be a bit confusing bc I just raised my own red flag :rofl::rofl:…serious tho.

3 Likes

Business registered with a P.O. Box => Good plan.
Business checking with a P.O. Box => Good plan.
Signing up for contracting companies - using business entity with Business Address => Good plan.

Your current plan of using your Business entity, but home address shouldn’t cause a “problem” nor “confusion;” however, keep in mind that this data can become ‘public’ . . .

So, if you prefer NOT to have a stranger show up on the front (or back) doorstep of your home, strongly recommend using your business address. :angel::pray:

1 Like

Food for Thought…thank you so much. I have a question, I need the zip codes out here Ann Arbor ( suburban) not Downtown Detroit. That would spread me out to counties like Harper Woods, Grosse Pointe, Oakland County, Macomb County and so on, which will
be 40 plus outside my business zip.
I’m currently 40 miles away. Contracting companies usually like to do business with the closest NSA beside experience and other factors. I also had to take my business address off Google and others because UPS was getting the actual business not me and as you know, UPS does general notary work too. I had a plan last year to be closer to the downtown Detroit area but it didn’t work out.

I also labeled my website and business as mobile not physical.

Yes, I encountered that identical conundrum when starting out, which is why I changed my business address to the US Post Office as they don’t provide Notary Services. :sparkles::angel:

1 Like

Right…a friend of mines has a virtual P.O. Box without notary attached. I didn’t think of that when setting up last year until google mapped me at the UPS downtown location as a business but actually was sending UPS customers for about 6 months. I made cards and pens with that address on it. But at the same time when I realized the mistake, I changed google, Yelp, NNA signing agent and other advertising, printed new cards and ink pens without UPS address. It’s just Not changed with the state entity. As far as my home address, I need the zip codes, you know. So, I will change with the state as soon as my 6 month rental period with UPS expires. I had a bit of wrong advice when setting up, but eventually ironed it out after having to do a lot of things twice. At this point I can actually be a help to someone who has the desire to become an entrepreneur. Don’t give up right :hugs::hugs:

1 Like

Interestingly, I rented a Mail Box with the owner of a UPS Store. He also worked the counter, but at that point in time didn’t offer Notary Services. When I signed the Rental Agreement he said providing Notary Services wasn’t worth it because he rarely received requests. Thus, he had stopped providing that service years previously.

Of course, that was the reason why I selected that particular UPS location, because there would be no direct competition between his business & mine.

At first, clients would call and appointments were scheduled.

Within a few weeks, I noticed a steep decline in the General Notary Work [GNW] flow. The GNW clients said they’d Google my address just to stop in, instead of calling to make an appointment. They said they’d ask for me by name to the person at the counter, but the clerk would say: “Oh, we can take care of that for you.”

When they said they specifically wanted to work with me, they were asked: “Why?”

Those clients would leave UPS, call me, and share their experience. WoW!

I stopped in UPS to touch base with the owner and there was a large new sign identifying that he’s now providing Notary Services . . . so, my Marketing funds & diligent Marketing efforts were benefitting another’s business.

Upon discovering this Client Diversion activity, I immediately made arrangements for a US Post Office Box, had my business materials reprinted with the new address and moved my business & marketing funds/efforts from that location to the US P.O. Box. Absolutely no Conflict of Interest or Customer Diverting since that time.

LESSON LEARNED: Be very careful with each & every decision you make regarding your business and clientele.

I have a business address that I use. When it comes to the background checks are you using your business address or your residence? This is a sole proprietor question.

My home address thru the NNA.

1 Like

How to setup USPS Mail & Delivery Services.

1.) Purchase Annual Rental P.O. BOX (Small Box),
This box is SECURED with a KEY, 24/7 Pickup your documents/packages anytime,
If your expecting package or an item for delivery, they will give you a LOCKER key for Larger packages.

2.) Let the Manager of the USPS facility know you are NOTARY, that way they are familiar with your Business & Name

3.) PRE-SIGNATURE CARD, (USPS will see this in your mailbox) You will NOT miss a delivery.
(will be placed in your mail box for all deliveries

4.) SIGN UP – USPS online account (your mail is scanned DAILY) this way you will see what is waiting in your mail box, your NOT wasting time at HOME waiting for the MAIL person.
How your mail is delivery:
SNAIL Mail to your LOCAL USPS OFFICE  Directly to your ASSIGNED P.O. BOX #  YOUR MAIL SCANNED DAILY (View in your USPS Account or EMAIL BOX Daily)  24/7 & Secured  NO waiting in line or @ home/office for the mail because you can see in advance when your mail has been delivered.

This will take less time for the USPS mail person to SORT your mail & Deliver to your HOME or OFFICE.

1 Like

You should keep all your mail for your NOTARY Business at the P.O. BOX.

All Business have a P.O. BOX, that way when your expecting anything, checks, documents, it’s all secured.

You want to keep your mailing address for professional anyway,

DON’T share your HOME address as a PUBLIC address,

I DID that ONCE, I had people coming over after 5pm. Unexpected visits. UNSAFE Business Practice.

1 Like

Mailing address for Document & Delivery Services for P.O.BOX.

For PHYSICAL Business Services: RENT a VIRTUAL OFFICE SPACE or SMALL Business SUB Lease a Space,

Which is much safer for NOTARY Business Services.

They will have a Receptionist or person at the Front Desk.
Waiting Area for Clients & Customers to sit.

You give out the PHYSICAL address like Starbucks, McDonalds, Library, or Local YMCA for SAFE locations.

NEVER Publish your HOME ADDRESS as a NOTARY.

A gal at the SOS office gave me that advice before I filled out my NOTARY Application.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing jowork4u, but I’m already cognizant of these items as you can see by my post above.

Appreciate the thought! :sparkles::angel::tulip:

1 Like

Where are you located? I am in Olympia, Washington. Businesses in Washington state must have a physical business address in the unlikely event someone must serve process. My home address is my business address, but it doesn’t mean I see clients at my home. However if someone has legal papers to serve on my business, a physical business address must be provided, not just a PO Box #.

1 Like

I use a p.o. box address for my business and the post office has a physical address for delivery. I use both. I also inform the post office master, manager, I have a pre-signed signature card on file to receive any all mail sent to me. This helps me with keeping business going while I don’t have to wait for a package to be delivered. This is a secured location and you can pick up anytime of the day. I pickup after work. Less stress.

1 Like