I need help with calculating the true costs of doing business

Thank you Mannie for your confirmation about slow downs. I’m actually kind of glad for the slow down…it gives me time to do other things–what am I complaining about?
Everybody needs a vacation and I figure that all of the Signing Companies and all of the title agents probably had some well-deserved time off. I’m looking at other ways to make money like fingerprinting and Apostille services. it’s challenging but I’m looking to do that with more emphasis on Apostille services

1 Like

I’m so grateful I met you when I’m just starting out. I’ve only been active for a month and see how I’ve been significantly lowballing myself already (thanks to you). I will take this information and reassess my fee schedule accordingly. I think my main problem is that I haven’t mentally switched gears from freelancer/side hustler to business owner with actual expenses–my yearly LLC filing just for starters. Thank you for the redirection–your insight and advice are invaluable :purple_heart:

1 Like

Thanks! @deandradewalt :sparkles: :tada: :moneybag: :heavy_dollar_sign: :crown: :gift: :butterfly:

1 Like

Thank you for that breakdown I have learned some things

2 Likes

Someone on here said that Notaries are exempt from self employment tax. That would be only the notary fee itself so if you get $5.00 per notary signature and their are 10 notaries in a refinance document set, you are exempt for $50. but if you made $100 fee from the signing company the other $50 is not exempt and is added to income that is taxed. You can then write off the other business expenses from that amount but not all your signing agent income is exempt. So you should count up all the notaries that you do for each signing order and I write that on my confirmation and keep available for taxes

4 Likes

That is one great thing that I love about Notary Gadget. It helps me keep track of all that and more.

2 Likes

ty very kind of you and very helpful

2 Likes

Calculating the real costs of a business is quite difficult because you have to consider all the components. But today, there are a lot of applications that simplify the process of cost control. Moreover, some of them are free. I encourage you to look on the Internet, and I am sure you will find an application that works for your business. In our work, we use software for print shops; it is very convenient and practical. It is much easier to work.

@vanzornink Welcome to the Notary Cafe forum! :sparkles: This post (above) may be a helpful to you as a newbie/New Notary Cafe member.

:swan:

1 Like

You can use snapdocs also they have that built into there software. Just add a signing and you can put all of your information in there and it will calculate your cost