ID has maiden name

In WI as soon as the DMV was open to the public there was no excuse not to have a legal ID. We need a valid unexpired Gov issued ID. It must have the correct name on it. I have never had a title company tell me different and I have asked. If KY is different and you are good with it…

Imcloser’s statement that in WI identification cards must be unexpired appears to be incorrect. Wisconsin Statutes Chapter 140 section 140.07 state

(2) A notarial officer has satisfactory evidence of the identity of an individual appearing before the officer if the officer can identify the individual in any of the following ways:
(a) By means of any of the following:
1. A passport, vehicle operator’s license, or government-issued identification card, which is current or expired not more than 3 years before performance of the notarial act.
2. Another form of government identification issued to an individual, which is current or expired not more than 3 years before performance of the notarial act, contains the signature or a photograph of the individual, and is satisfactory to the officer.

1 Like

At the end of the day, that’s what this job is, “state specific.” Hence the importance of being fluent and updated on our state laws!

Hey @ashton, good homework on your part. Here’s the Golden question, can a lender require something different than the state (like no exceptions), or does the lender have to follow what the states have on the books?

I think there’s two answers to whether the lender can require something different from the state.

From the notary’s point of view, the client (that is, the lender or title company) can set whatever conditions they want, as long as they’re at least as stringent as the state law: Meet at 123 Main Street at 10:00 AM, require a dress code for the notary, and require the signer to present a current driver license. If all the conditions aren’t satisfied, the deal’s off and the notary doesn’t notarize. The notary may be able to collect a trip and printing fee.

From the borrower’s point of view, the issue is whether a lender, who has approved the loan up through the signing appointment, can cancel the loan because the signer’s driver license is expired? I’m not a real estate or banking attorney, so I’m not qualified to answer that.

2 Likes

Call whomever hired you and ask them what they require. It may be an FKA paper that’s already included, it may be a copy of a marriage cert. Only the agency who hired you can tell you what THEY require :slight_smile: