New Mobile notary want to do poa

Hello everyone I’m fairly new at being a mobile notary and signing agent. I want to expand my business and go into hospitals and nursing homes to notarize poa etc. does anyone do this? How or where do I start? Thanks so much

First, figure out what you’ll need to charge to be profitable!! Travel is a MAJOR factor (car expenses, travel time) and you’ll probably only be doing one notarization 95% of the time. Create a bunch of Flyers on computer and drop off at the locations. Leave Flyer & a few business cards. Replenish both every time you go to a particular location. Put your business on all the free sites…Yellow Pages, Yelp, etc. It will probably not become a large part of your business, but every little bit counts and you can often combine these quick jobs with errands you have to run for yourself anyway. Two more tips: Tell signer cost and that you only accept exact cash (or you can use a smartphone credit card app) or you will find yourself having to make change for a $50 or $100 bill. Also, let signer know that the travel fee is payable even if you can’t complete the notarization (signer is not competent, aware, physically able).

3 Likes

Set up a google local listing for your area. In regards to Hospital & nursing homes, you will have to walkin and introduce yourself and find the decision maker for notary work for that organization.
On mobile notary, always take only cash. Tell this to the customer on the phone during the booking.

First and foremost, you need to know your POA laws for your state. Some states, like mine, IL changed their laws a few years ago, that now require two witnesses for a POA (finances/businesses) and the NOTARY CAN NOT BE ONE (as we used to be)

Second, remember that you can charge a mileage or flat Travel fee. For hospital and nursing home POA signings, I don’t make as much as I would if I were going to someone’s business or restaurant. It depends on whose signing, if they’re elderly, sick, etc., that I base my fees on, as they’re not fixed.

Never cross the line with these, as you can be held liable having said this, keep in mind you are only verifying identification, and witnessing the signer (and agent if applicable) signing the document(s).

Lastly, keep in mind your client’s intention. Not all clients are honest, and some want to take advantage of seniors or their relatives. Ask alot of questions to the client, such as is the signer adherent, spry can they read and understand the document. Because if they have dementia or can’t read, etc., they may have a hard time or not able to sign the POS because they could be considered incompetent (so to speak). I always ask the caller/client these questions, and then upon arrival I engage in conversation with the signer to gauge their competency I ask them how they’re doing, do they know what they’re signing, etc. You’ll know after speaking with them on whether you should or even could legally proceed with the signing of the POA. And never ever fill anything out w/in the POA, not your job and may be considered UPL.

Good luck to you, and hope this helps you.

ChiTown Notary
Chicago Paralegal Notary Services

2 Likes