Non payers beware

Just curious…and interested. Why would you (you know who you are) NOT accept a tip when doing a hired by TC or SS loan signing? I’ve never seen anything prohibiting (or approving) this. I’ve never been offered a ‘tip’, but have had signers ask ‘do I pay you now?’ I say ‘No, I’m paid by the TC’…and that’s the end of it.

“Guiding Principle II-A-3 of The Notary Public Code of Professional Responsibility of 2020 recommends Notaries should not accept any gifts, gratuities or donations.”

In all my professional care in the financial service industry since graduated from college, I have always operated with the understanding that I may not accept tips.

3 Likes

I appreciate the article however I can see if the client actually paid my fee then it would make since…… but since they haven’t paid my fees then what? That’s the point I’m trying to make. If you want to argue the fact I accepted a “tip” (technically I didn’t) which means I did a closing for $5!
I’m not trying to start a huge debate only to get non discriminatory advise from my fellow notaries yet I’m getting different.

No problem. Sorry for the confusion ma’am. The article was meant for a response to another notary who asked why I don’t accept tips:) I just clicked on the wrong button that’s all.

1 Like

The NNA is just an organization (who tries very hard to be the official whatever on all things notary). But, fact is, it’s NOT. Each state’s law on any given notary-related subject is the one that counts.
Note that some states do cover this topic…and some don’t. Best to check with your SOS.

6 Likes

Absolutely correct, Arichter, about the NNA => " tries very hard to be the official whatever on all things notary"

Recently discussed here: Why I don't like night and weekend signings - #9 by cNsa5

Much valuable information on the multiple threads on the post. :sparkles:

1 Like

People can do whatever they want, but for me I would never take tips whatsoever.

1 Like

Tips are tips and contracts are contracts. If you received a confirmation for a closing you are entitled to be paid. It’s that simple. If someone is giving you a tip that’s on them it’s not “in lieu” of payment. Send them a collection letter and make sure you put at the bottom; “This is an attempt to collect a debt and any information obtained will be used for that purpose.” I understand they’ve baited you with “other closings,” but you’re not in this business to work for free, right?

1 Like

They asked for your invoice before the signing, because title is paying you directly. So look the settlement statement they should have your name, as the payee, for the notary work. Title then cuts you a check at closing date. Look at the disbursement date, that’s the date they pay everyone. Call them and get your money. Them not responding is unprofessional, and an insult for the work you do.

Good luck.

2 Likes

I have a question. Was your fee included in the HUD/CD? if yes, TC should pay you, and not say that the ‘tip’ was your service fee.

I am so Glad someone is saying the same thing I’ve been saying. They’re nothing more than a Monopoly who have cornered the Industry. With all of their Fees etc. We’re not in a Union. They’re a Joke.

Right. Why are you quoting the NNA? They’re a joke.

I would never solicit a tip but if someone insists on giving you one, I don’t see anything wrong with accepting it. Call it unprofessional or whatever you want to call it, but the amount that we’re being paid for these jobs isn’t “professional” either.

4 Likes

Well said. I have been offered tips many times, I usually do not accept them as it really is not the signers’ fault that these TC take advantage of our services and make all kinds of demands without paying accordingly. That said; I’m not opposed to accepting a tip.

1 Like

My personal opinion: In this industry I think tips are disrespectful. We represent the state
office of the great seal. I’ve never seen anyone tip a lawyer or a police officer. It’s not the same thing as a profession where tips are normal\expected. Just my opinion :wink:

1 Like

I don’t know if I would consider a tip disrespectful. I did a GN the other day and told my client the fee was only $10.00 he was literally a 3 min walk from my home and I told him that too. He said that it was absolutely ridiculous that I only charge $10 for my time and insisted on the $30 tip and he was not taking no for an answer… so I took it. :rofl:

2 Likes

We are not even remotely on the same professional level as a police officer or an attorney. And I feel comfortable in saying this as a former police detective for one of the largest police departments in the country. That is why we can not carry a gun into a closing or provide advice like an attorney. It is nothing wrong with accepting a tip, in my opinion.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your response and sorry for the delay. Just a follow up, I did speak with the escrow officer and the client stated he paid me for the closing. Once I told her the amount he gave me, she then told me that this client is known for trying to cut corners and that he did not tell her that amount. She apologized and is in process of sending me my money.

1 Like

Thank you for your advise. I did send the collection letter and that’s when the escrow agent called.

Unfortunately, the closing did not have an Alta or cd attach to it which I thought was weird.