Per signature, per page?

Hello:

I’m still a newbie.

I think I should know this already, but…

Are the notary charges, per signature or per page?

For example:

Mary brings in a single document where she needs to sign in two different places. Am I charging her for each signature where I am putting my stamp on that one document? Or just charging once?

Another example:

Sam brings in a document that contains two pages and each page needs to be notarized. This is one where I would charge for both signatures on two separate documents, correct?

Am I overthinking this?

Thank you in advance for all the positive responses!

1 Like

The answer depends on your state. It isn’t possible to answer your question unless you mention what state you are in.

There is a discussion about this in another thread.

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply, Ashton. I am in California.

Per notarized signature.

First example $15
Second example $30

Each notarized signature requires full documentation in your sequential journal.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your reply! :+1:

In Florida, it’s $10.00 per signature/stamp. The number of pages do not matter.

2 Likes

Wow, thank you for that! That’s really good to know! :+1:
I’m also trying to learn the rules in different states, Just for my own education though.

To be c!ear, Florida is $10 per notarization or notarial act…or stamp as you put it … but not per signature.

1 Like

I haven’t researched notary fees in FL, but I don’t agree with LindaH-FL’s terminology.

Looking at the post from the end to the start, we all know what a signature is.

A stamp goes on a certificate. One certificate can name more than one person.

I see “notarial act” mentioned several times in the Florida law, but not a clear definition of what a notarial act is. I think the meaning is more clear in the Revised Uniform Law on Notarial Acts, which has been adopted with slight changes in my state, Vermont. It has a pretty good definition of notarial act:

(5) “Notarial act” means an act, whether performed with respect to a tangible or electronic record, that a notarial officer may perform under the law of this state. The term includes taking an acknowledgment, administering an oath or affirmation, taking a verification on oath or affirmation, witnessing or attesting a signature, certifying or attesting a copy, and noting a protest of a negotiable instrument.

Notice the singular through, such as “an acknowledgement” rather than “acknowledgements”. What each of these acts are is defined too. For example,

(1) “Acknowledgment” means a declaration by an individual before a notarial officer that the individual has signed a record for the purpose stated in the record and, if the record is signed in a representative capacity, that the individual signed the record with proper authority and signed it as the act of the individual or entity identified in the record.

(15) “Verification on oath or affirmation” means a declaration, made by an individual on oath or affirmation before a notarial officer, that a statement in a record is true.

So when Alice and Bob sign a document and request the notary take acknowledgements, the notary should first ask Alice if she signed for the purposes stated in the record, and if she is acting on her own behalf or is a representative. She says yes and that she is acting for herself. That’s the first acknowledgement. Then the notary asks Bob the same question of Bob, and he says yes, and he is acting for himself. That’s the second acknowledgement. That’s two notarial acts. It makes no difference whether there are to certificates and two stamps, one for Alice an one for Bob, or one certificate and one stamp, that names both Alice and Bob.

1 Like

@ashton F.S. 117.05(2)(a)

“The fee of a notary public may not exceed $10 for any one notarial act under this part, except as provided in s. 117.045 or s. 117.275.”

For clarity - 117.045 refers to fees to solemnize marriage (which is whatever the local court clerk can charge) and 117.275 refers to fees for online notarizations.

Although I see your analysis of two people, each acknowledging or swearing to, usually only one certificate is issued - therefore, $10 per acknowledgement or jurat.

JMO

1 Like

Fine, but I would not equate one stamp with one notarial act. I would equate one notarial act with each name in the notarial certificate. If a certificate said

STATE OF FLORIDA
COUNTY OF Hillsborough

The foregoing instrument was acknowledged before me this 4th day of July, 1776, by Alice Johnson and Bob Peters…

why wouldn’t that count as two notarial acts?

1 Like

If you issue only one certificate, that’s one acknowledgement, one act.

I can’t say for certain in Florida. But if I issue one acknowledgement certificate in Vermont, I am quite sure the number of acknowledgements, which equals the number of notarial acts, is the number of different signers listed in the certificate. I don’t believe the one sentence LindaH-FL quoted from Florida law is convincing about what the rule is in Florida.

2 Likes

California commission

I once had eight signers on one power of attorney. Anyone guess what the notary fee was and how many times did I stamp it with my notary seal?

1 Like

@ewing_joe Your fee better have been, at LEAST, $150 or more …but you could get by with maybe only 2 or 3 “stamps”. Your laws are very clear, Joe … $15/signature notarized … here it is $10 per notarization

1 Like

$120 is the most I can charge for the notary fee. And one stamp if I print very small.

2 Likes

OKay…I was including time/travel charge.

1 Like

You were correct Linda. I would have added a $50 service fee.

3 Likes

Has the California SOS or the California Legislature provided a written definition of what a notarial act is, or an acknowledgement?

1 Like

Please check with your SOS for clarity on this one.
In MT it is per Notarial Signature/Stamp. When you are quoting clients, make sure that you are clear on whose signature you are allowed to charge for. They may have several sets of documents requiring 7 of their signatures and only 2 notarial acts.

1 Like