PLEASE CHIME IN: I would like to Poll my fellow Notaries (Split signing question)

When I’m doing a split signing I think of the other notary as my teammate in getting the job done. Therefore as a good teammate I try to help set up my partner in the process for success. Anything that I can do to make it easier for them I would. That’s just how I do business. It’s not about worrying about the other person it’s about getting the job done correctly as a team.

4 Likes

@cari081326

Split signing … When same set of docs are executed by two different parties, each of whom may be in different states and they may sign on different days…IOW docs are not signed by both parties concurrently…docs signed by party one on one day then sent to other notary for second signer to sign ’ hence a “split” signing

4 Likes

Sorry I think I was confused. Most of my buyer or seller or split signings are for out of state. Therefore I don’t print or leave blank notary areas for the other notary since their jurat or acknowledgment is different than CA. We have a very strict format to use versus others. As well as our journal entries… different… To me this was a broad question because every one reply wouldn’t be true necessarily if in another state. I think I read into too much lol.

Of course we all want to be good faith people in the transaction. Definitely avoiding errors that would hurt the next signer. However im not going to print a PA jurat for notary in other states. CA is very strict. So your question doesn’t apply to me.

I have

Yep, that’s the normal split signing. Although, I recently got a very interesting split signing for next week. I will print one set, go get the first signature at a particular time and then go back at a later time to get the second signature. Same day, same location, different times. They pay as two full signings. Thank God, it’s only 4 minutes away.

I just completed a buyer’s package that was a split signing. I was the first notary so I stamped and signed where my signers had to sign. I’ll be dropped it off to Title in the morning. They will ship to the seller. Should I add a few certs for the second notary since we’re in the same state?

I personally would not… but that is just me.

1 Like

So what happens when that notary makes a mistake Do we contact the lender? Do or how is this corrected? A new package is needed or we continue and advise?

In the situation I mentioned, all I had to do was add my own N. Cert. to the docs so no need to redo pkg. or call as when they get pkg, they’ll see what happened.

1 Like

When I am the first notary, I always make two copies of the notarization page(s) so that I will have notarized an original and the second notary will have notarized an original copy as well. The second notary can decide what they want to do with notarization (use the second copy in the package or use a general acknowledgement for their notarization(s)). When I am the second notary, I just handle that part of the signing that is my responsibility. I always have copies of general acknowledgement forms in my briefcase just in case. It is not my place to check another notary’s work and draw attention to title/lender if there appears to be a mistake. They will see it and know who’s responsibility it is to make corrections, if warranted.

1 Like

Completed split signings since 2015 and don’t know the exact count but probably few hundred. Many military signings. Once upon a time managed Notaries all over the US for a large corporation, multi signings question was a FAQ. Stand in your own truth and notarize as it applies to where you are located for legal responsibility for notarization. Documents requiring additional signing in another location or state, it is that Notary’s responsibility to follow law. Notaries I managed would travel into many states performing their assignments onsite. Life working in marine construction. :slightly_smiling_face:

I had a split signings where the first Notary… let’s just say… needed some additional training. The package was a hot mess. I notarized my sections correctly and attached my certificates as required. I emailed the company and told the the errors that were made by the first notary and they asked me to scan the docs back after executed. They ended up sending me an email thanking me as they had to have that first notary go back and correct her mistakes. I mailed my package back and they merged my docs with her corrected docs so that the closing would be completed on time.

1 Like

I’ve also done it both ways…whichever way seems more expedient at the time

Thank you, when I do a split signing, if docs are drawn a property in my state I use the acknowledgment that is with the package, if they are drawn for property in another state I leave the acknowledgment for the notary in that state.

1 Like