Printer question

I currently have a Brother MFC-L5850DW with a dual tray. I love this printer, but it will not allow me to scan letter and legal together…(I have to scan my legal size one page at a time on the glass tray :frowning: ). Any suggestions on a printer that’ll do this? I also have the Acrobat Document Combine program but it’s so time consuming!

Do you have a Mac? If so, it will not work unless you install Window’s. I had this same problem. I contacted Apple and this is what I was told. I went to a computer repair shop and purchased a refurbished HP, I use this for all my loan docs. I love my Mac for everything else.

No ma’am. I have a Brother MFC-L5850DW. I called Brother USA yesterday and they said they don’t make a printer that will scan letter and legal size at the same time. That doesn’t make sense to me. I’m going to Staples today and hopefully they can give suggestions. Last night it took me 30 minutes to do my scan backs…I don’t normally have to do a full scan back on a refi, so I wasn’t worried about it, until last night. :-/

You might want to look at the Vue Scan scanner software app that kenmig47 talked about in another post. I have personally never used it, but it sounds like it might help to correct the issue that you are having with your scanner.

Vue Scan scanner software

thank you klewis, I’ll look into that

1 Like

I have a Brother scanner and I just set it to scan legal size when there is a mix of both.

ok thank you metzger

Hi Jennifer. I love Brother for printing docs too, but for scanning all sizes (letter and legal docs) I use a HP Office Jet Pro 8630. I recommend You get either this model or a similar model. It has a document FedEx or you can scan a single doc on the glass. Low maintenance, HP Printers last a long time and are easy and reliable. Hope this helps!

Sorry for the typo. Replace “FedEx” with “Feeder”.

thanks mucho Ready2go

Your printer is just fine, don’t replace it. What you do need to replace is your scanner software. All-in-one printers are actually two completely separate devices and use different software, they are not bound to each other. I discovered Vuescan about 3 years ago and use it exclusively for my scanner. It is an app that totally replaces your printers scanner app seamlessly. About $30-$40 one time cost. You can scan any mix of document sizes and best of all the output file does not close when your hopper goes empty. You can keep on feeding more documents and it will add to the end of the file, even a day or year later. Very robust and does much more. It’s a must have. If you must scan, and most of us do, this will make your life a lot easier. PS I have no affiliation with Vuescan.

That is not true. I have a brothers 8710 dw that does both

I have a refurbished Brother MFC-7360 and can scan legal and letter at the same time.

Yeah…I have an older Brother MFC-8460 (dating myself here) - scans both legal and letter.

I’d suggest calling Brother again and getting someone on the line who knows what they’re talking about But first, make sure you have all updated drivers for your printer/scanner.

Good luck

thank you for the suggestions and info everyone you’ve all given me something to work with and check into.

I simply set my printers to legal size for scanning mixed docs. There have been no complaints on the receiving end.
Bill

As above, simply buy the Vuescan software for $30 (maybe back up to $40 now) and you’re set. Vuescan has built-in drivers for your Brother and it works extremely well. It can scan mixed page sizes automatically. A huge advantage to Vuescan’s scanning software is it significantly reduces the file size as well. A large stack of documents that might produce a 30 MB file size on my HP scanner set to scan in B&W and 300 dpi will produce a <10 MB file size when scanned in B&W and at 300 dpi with the Vuescan software. Before I got the Vuescan software I had to take my larger document sets over to a title office where a friend would scan them on their system that had better compression software on it like the $30 Vuescan product has.