Reality check for how much notaries earn on average in your area

I hear ya. Was just thinking today, gas is up triple. Is it “worth it?” Doesn’t matter, cause we need it and have no choice!

2 Likes

Well, I raised my fees! We shall see.

1 Like

My best practices come from lessons learned. Before I start any sogning, I put the CD in the front of their copy and pull it out for their review before we start. I explain that many of the documents in their signing package are based on the figures on their CD. I review all of these documents against the CD before I travel to signing. Once in a while i find that the CD and Settlement Statement do not match. I then will make a call to those who gave me the assignment to see which one is the correct set of numbers on the bottom line and then i know exactly how to communicate it to the signers or soetimes i will get a new CD or settlement statement where both match.

Now for why I do this practice. On a couple of signings when I first started, signers would be signing other types of documents and once we got to the CD, they didn’t agree with the numbers and either would not complete the signing and/or have phone calls happen to try and get their concerns addressed. Sometimes things worked out and they proceeded but the sync of the signing was lost if they decided to proceed.

I have found that reviewing their copy of the CD with them up front has always achieved a smoothr signing and built trust with them from the onset.

It’s the best document to review upfront which also saves time on reviewing some of other documents during the actual signing.

I do get lots of repeat business from many agencies who nw contact me directly to handle their signings.

1 Like

Some might think it sounds like I do a lot of work upfront. However, it has paid off with at least 5-10% of my time at the table.

Additionally, I’ve found that when I find things wrong in the package and have the communication with the SS’s to resolve discrepancies before I’m with the signers they greatly appreciate it.

I don’t get lowball offers from them and I get repeat business.

Thus I don’t even have to take lowball offers. I can also negotiate better fees with the ones who care.

2 Likes

Excellent practice. Congrats on learning your methodology

I moved the CD, Application, 3-day rescission, and the Mortgage/Deed of Trust to the front of the package. If none of these are correct I can’t halt the closing until things are worked out between the signers and lender. When I move them to the front, I usually paper clip them so I can keep the document order consistent. The paper clips let get to them faster.

2 Likes

I haven’t done but one refi since February. These days, it doesn’t matter much about reshuffling papers to gain expediency. Just lucky to get a signing at all. I’m fortunate in that I have one signing service that sends me a lot of work but that volume is waaaaay down since about last May. Still, in all, I’m hanging in there with what they send me and my GNW.

3 Likes

I’m seeing an uptick in Seller Packages as investors are taking profits. Not swamped, just an uptick.

2 Likes

I predict we will start to see more sellers packages as people realize that the house they bought during COVID work-from-home times now costs too much OR, like Twitter, the bosses are demanding they return to the offices and that house in the suburbs (or another state entirely) is now too far away. Inflation hurts more when you are in a house that’s even a little bit too big for your budget!

4 Likes

I agee the only closing that is completed in 20 minutes would have to be a hybrid, but thats is still setting a record.

1 Like