Scanback time, mileage, costs

I agree dawnsnotary. Typically it is companies that pay very low fees and demand more and more, always for free.

TANSTAFL - There ain’t no such thing as free lunch. It is an acronym that my college economics professor taught.

Low paying companies don’t believe in TANSTAFL.

If it can scan both Legal and Letter, why not scan all Legal and avoid having to interrupt the scan? It won’t be printed at the other end but it probably is a larger file size.

I live in rural PA where service coukd be dicey. I scan and save to a USB. Then the USB stick can be plugged into my phone when i get back to a service area and uploaded.

Epson 300 will allow you to control what size document you’re scanning, by using your mobile phone. Epson300 will allow you to scan ID cards (driver license and social security cards)and save to upload to Portal.

My car does not have a 120 outlet.

Where can i purchase this scanner?

Got the best price at Walmart, but you can also purchase it at Bestbuy or Target

You can install an inverter to change 12VDC to 120VAC. Be certain you speak with your mechanic so things get cabled in properly.

Can you plug directly up to your 12v (cigarette lighter plug) or do you need an inverter?

I use this power station.

May I ask what kind you use? I’m concerned about the device overheating, or getting internal damage from moving in the car.

You get a converter. Lastone cost me about $40.

The fact is that scanbacks can easily add an hour or more to the total time to do a signing. Yet, signing services do not compensate us for that extra time. They consider it to be “part of the job”, but there is no difference in the compensation offered between jobs with scanbacks or without. No other profession but ours would allow themselves to be treated this way.

3 Likes

@steves11 Concur :100: percent! Also, factor the out-of-pocket costs (gas, mileage, maintenance, etc.,) in the addition to the time to perform the scans and it’s EASY to see this ADD-ON service has inherent costs associated with it. Thus, as an Independent Contractor the onus is upon us to ensure that we are ensuring our costs are covered within the fee, plus Federal and State taxes (if applicable), certification expenses, etc.

There are many elements that comprise being a business owner that are important to consider. For additional helpful information on this topic, please review this post:

:swan:

1 Like

From the late and great Carol Ray:

Carol introduced me to an app that works well for small scanbacks; a few pages.

It is Tiny Scanner. No need for additional hardware. Snap a pic with your phone and email it.

Respectfully,

Agree, agree, agree.

What profession besides NSA allows the buyer to set the price?

Try calling your mechanic and say I’ll pay you $xxx to replace my car battery. And then tell him he must replace the battery cables for no extra money.

Try this with your doctor, attorney, favorite restaurant, computer store, etc.

When you succeed, call me, and tell me how to do that.

PS: Signing Services and Title Companies are the BUYERS of our services.

PS: The BUYER is the one who pays the other party in the transaction.

Respectfully,

2 Likes

Agree with @notary - another example:

We just had new internet installed at our house - a dish had to be mounted on the roof and we are unable to climb up and walk around up there so had to hire someone - company told us "$65 to come out … " followed by installation charge. IOW we were out of pocket $65 just for them to show up. Our local tech repair shop requires a $25 deposit before they start the work, credited when final bill is tallied.

Also, plumbers, electricians, etc - $XX amount to just show up.

I still firmly believe two things:

1. Set an all inclusive price and stick to it as each individual notary is the only one who really knows their own demographics; and

2. Notaries should be paid at the table by the signers immediately upon completion of the signing and be listed on the CD as “POC by borrower”.

My $.02 FWIW

2 Likes

Can you tell me what the app is called for small scan backs?
Thank you,

I have had luck with using Adobe Scan.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.