Signing taking a long time

If I may ask…What are your normal charges for these?

Spell out your restrictions during your confirmation call to the borrowers.

"Hello, Mr Doe, this is Tom from TF Signing Services. I’m calling to confirm an appointment to meet with you and Mrs Doe on Friday the first at 10 am, to sign your closing documents for ABC Mortgage. I have the meeting location at 111 Main Street, Anytown. Is that correct? Thank you.

The lender requires two pieces of valid identification, one of which must be a government issued photo ID. I will be bringing all required documents with me, as well as a copy I will leave with you. Please have a table cleared, any pets contained and the television off to minimize distractions.

I will be wearing a mask and gloves as required by state law.

You have received preliminary loan documents from your lender. Please review these documents prior to my arrival, so that your Loan Officer may address any issues you may have before I arrive. (Yes, you stress this twice.) We will complete the signing within one hour."

When you arrive, your first request is, “Where shall I set up?” Move quickly and purposefully to the location, indicate where the borrowers are to sit, give each a pen, take their ID, complete your journal entries, have them sign your journal as required by your local laws. Complete any lender Patriot Act/identification verification forms at this time as well.

THEN sit down, pick up the Closing Disclosure, provide a quick, concise precis of pages 1, 2 and 3, tell them exactly how they are to sign, and ask them if they have any questions. Then point to the line on page 5 upon which they will sign and repeat how they are to do so. “First, middle initial and last, please.”

By this time, you are 10 - 15 minutes in. You have established yourself as the professional in charge, with one purpose: To complete their signing in a competent manner that will fully facilitate the culmination of their loan. Your behavior has eased much of their tension and released them from feeling responsible for ensuring that the signing will be done as required by the lender. You will find that most of the “readers” will simply accept the quick summary of each document you provide as you place each before them from this point.

Occasionally, despite your best efforts you will find yourself with someone who simply cannot or will not complete the signing within the alloted appointment time. At that point you may, if possible, have to leave to meet your other obligations and return later that same day.

1 Like