SnapDocs Multiple signers not disclosed

Anytime the scope of the job increases from what was advertised when accepting the job, I ALWAYS alert the hiring party and request that the fee be adjusted accordingly. Never had a problem with that and they have always increased my fee accordingly.

Why put yourself in a position where you’re looked upon as the “bad guy”? Everyone involved will blame you for not completing the job and inconveniencing everyone else. They don’t care whether you’re technically right or wrong. They only care that the job isn’t finished and they will have to invest their time in it again. If you’re going to bail on the job, do it as soon as you’re aware of the inequities, to give the hiring company a chance to either fix it for you or find someone else.

1 Like

First and foremost I never said I bailed on a job. The job called for me to execute a signing for 1 signer not 4. They highered 3 other notaries to take care of the split signing. The signers that were not initially on my list showed up. I reached out to the appropriate people to verify it. However I was informed to only execute the signing of the individual I was assigned. They reached out to title, title said they would handle it. They called me later on and told me to take care of all the signers since they were still in my city. Again originally the other signers were from other states hence the reason it was a split signing.
How am I the “bad guy” because I followed protocol also who is to say those people weren’t who they said they were.
Have you ever heard of fraud or fake IDs.
Oh and for reference I’ll kindly send a link to a story where a signer signed papers with a notary with a fake ID.
SO I DID MY JOB AND VERIFIED BEFORE JUST LETTING SOMEONE SIGN DOCUMENTS THAT WERE NOT ON MY SCHEDULE OR MY ASSIGNMENT ORDERS. Good thing you’re retiring because apparently you don’t follow the laws that are set forth for us or abide by the rules that are set with signing services.

Respectfully, that’s not what you initially said and I think that’s what @steves11 was addressing…you said…

If you read back, that’s what I questioned also.

1 Like

You make it sound like you spent hours drawing up the paperwork. You only notarized signatures. $900 to me is price gouging. Unfair pricing goes both ways.

1 Like

1031 Closings are a bit complex but not volumous. The burr under my saddle, was the lack of transparency and the time involved need to close. I agree that the $900 charged for my services was excessive. But I’m not allowed to discuss this with the signers.

Ok I’m not trying to be rude but most well trained and knowledgeable Notary Signing Agents know to follow directions of a given signing services and title company. I didn’t think that it was needed to be said. That’s in the SPW Code of Conduct. Simply put follow all directions given and if unsure call first before continuing or leaving an appointment. Period.
For your reference please read the SPW code of conduct.

Specifically these: 5.11 Unlawful Transaction, 7.1 Confirmation of Fee in Writing, 7.2 Performance for Fee, 9.5 Signing Presentation Guidelines, 9.6 Assignment Requirements, 9.7 Contracting Company Instructions, 9.10 Appointment Confirmation and 9.15 Changes to Documents.
https://spswg.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/spw-code-of-conduct-2016.pdf
Those are what should have been considered by the OP as well as Mr. Steve before just signing or having random people sign documents that were not originally on the contract orders.
Common knowledge would be to call contracting company before just signing documents. Yes I contacted them but any type of issues should be called before just executing and not “being the bad guy” because doing that can also lead to mistakes and issues with the title services and previous made appointments. So to end all of this retort.

Maybe I should have clarified but I assumed it was common knowledge to never just do what you want or appease the signers but to effectively call the company first and ask the contracting company to verify and then wait for the next move.
Here is the SPW Code of Conduct:

1 Like

you mentioned a 1800 number… can you please share that number with us. I didn’t see a number for snap dos I thought it was just e-mail correspondence.

1 Like

I found it, thank you

Glad you found it … because I never mentioned it that I recall

May have been my mistake, thanks for your response

A 1031 exchange isn’t just a Real Estate transaction, it also involves Federal and sometimes State and Local taxation regulations. I get 1031 exchanges because I’m also a Tax Pro that specializes working with Real Estate investors. An error on a 1031 can create problem beyond a simple closing failure.

Here are the details: I had to pause the engagement, work with Title to get the package redrawn, spend nearly 8 hours at the table as not every signer was immediately available, 2 hours total travel time, 2 hours to proof the document package, the engagement called for 26 Notarial acts per each of the 5 signers; that’s 130 Notarial acts in addition to the other numerous non-notarizable signatures in total. The package size exceeded 160 pages and I had to print 3 additional copies for each entity. Do you still think I’m gouging at $112.50/hour?

It’s not price gouging if the Title Company could have selected a different NSA. The 1031 trust officer and Title company selected me due to my also being a Tax Pro.

3 Likes