Strange emails and scams targeting Notaries

Her e-mail stated that she got my information from Notarycafe! LOL!

Kate Benson ktebenson.91@gmail.com

Tue 12/15/2020 1:32 PM
To:

** K.S. Nicholson*

Hello,

I found your contact on Notarycafe.com, I’m in need of a notary agent
to sign a seller closing document on Thursday with our client in your
Zip code area. Please advise on your availability and fee.
Thank you.

People will try anything, anywhere, if they think they can get away with it.

A Gmail address always gets my attention too. Obviously a fraud

I use a gmail address - my attorney bosses still use their hotmail account

Don’t judge a company by their email address.

Oh don’t get me wrong Linda. I would never judge a company based on their email address alone. But when I get an email out of the blue that has misspellings or bad grammar and no phone number attached and its a gmail address, it sets off my spidey senses.

2 Likes

Another scam screen shot.

Clues to ignore

1. Email automatically lands this in spam if the service provider has a good spam filter
  2. The scan says generic " we need a notary in YOUR AREA " … Which is a dead give away… They are sending 1000’s of email to snag one notary and then lead from there.
  3. They have gotten better and now adding signature !! Which shows scammers are reading posts and improvising.

I don’t know what they are tying to get outta notaries, but mostly it might be made you CLICK INADVERTANTLY some link and install malware / virus or download a virus / malware payload disguised as a document / pdf. And then scan for sensitive information / emails about wire transfers etc

So Notaries, Please be aware. If always in doubt, err on the side of caution , rather that the desperation to land a signing deal.

I received almost the same exact email. Mine however was called Jonelle Dreek, see below:

I just received the exact, word-for-word email from “Marrie Adeyinka”. Only difference was the job date. Glad I checked here first. The email seemed odd for a professional attorney, as well as the fact there was no real business listed, only “Attorney at Law”.

Thank you for sharing! That is scary.

Our entire purpose is to forestall fraud, people.

Take some fraud prevention training, learn how to “read” the cues, understand the “tells”, and how/where to report instances. Study how to read identification, how to determine real from fake ID. Learn how to determine if a person is competent to sign.

All of the examples posted here are amateurish, raw “trainee” level material. Anyone who actually falls for this ridiculously simple crap should seriously reconsider their career choice.

I received that email today (7/13/2021). I reported it as phishing.

I just received this one last week. When I asked where the client was I got no response until today. I was sent the one with the link to “Microsoft” but it is clearly a scam URL. I tried calling the phone number given and it went to a fax which sent up a red flag and I googled this “lawyer”

I received this same email today from the same person. Thanks for posting this warning. I answered the email, but then I felt uneasy and decided to research the name and address and this warning came up.

I received the same email today and came here to look also.

Thanks,

I got the same email!

I just received this too and was sceptical since the return email address was an outlook address, not an attorney’s office. Also, no attorney name on the address line. The idea that the sender has a Nigerian name is immaterial. The email looks fake particularly with the click this link bit! I checked her out before doing anything further too. I will delete it. Thanks.

Another scam is spoofer callers who use other local notary numbers in their headers to make us think a competitor is harassing. Don’t believe it.

Def a scam, I received the same email, ugh!

I received a similar email yesterday saying that they found my info on 123notary. I didn’t notice the email it came from until today when it didn’t match the one from yesterday. The signature that is on the bottom of the email appears to be a real person at a real title company (Sunshine Title) with a totally different email address. Thank goodness for all my computer protection! And thank you to those of you that have posted about this!

Anyone heard of Notary Locate?. Recently recieved this:

||
||
|# Are you available for notary services?

Hi ,

NotaryLocate.com is in need of qualified notary professionals in your area. Our notary members receive notary jobs from title companies, mortgage companies, attorneys, and others in need of their notary services.

Your notary membership will never expire.

Let us help your increase your notary business.

\ 150x89|
|Copyright © 2022 NLocate, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you opted in via our website.

Our mailing address is:

NLocate

2400 E Katella Ave

Anaheim, CA 92806-5945

Add us to your address book

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp\ 435x64|

Just say NO. If you search using the magnifying glass above you can see other info already posted about this company.

1 Like