Taxes and non taxable notary income

In my opinion, assuming a $10 per act statutory fee, the $100 would all be allocated to the ‘public officer fees’ and be thus exempt from S/E tax (Total fee, minus expenses, minus $100 [10 x $10]).

The total amount, less expense (Total fee, minus expenses).

Expenses can be captured on purchase (cartridges, paper, mileage, etc…) or on a unit cost (per page, per mile, etc…). I do the latter, averaging $0.027-$0.035 per page, recalculated periodically, factoring in all supplies. I also put a fixed ‘surcharge’ on each signing for folder, pens, masks, sanitizer, booties, etc.),

We have some good coverage of this issue at this NotaryCafe link.

Good luck,

HWB.

Got a signing request from a new company, NotaryGo. It was for something called id verification. Paying only $30 with weekly next to it. It was 72 miles r/t for me. They also called me earlier today pleading with me to do a signing 3 hours away. Asked how much I wanted. Said I was one of the few notaries with a background check. Anyone else heard from this company or done business with them. $30. How insulting.

I’ve dealt with them, but never more than 15-25 mi R/T.

They’re honest and straightforward, but they are extremely… shall we say, “frugal?” (aka CHEAP!). They don’t seem to be trying to cheat the notary… rather, they’re just into the deals with very little wiggle room most of the time.

The id verification is for employees working at DoD contractors. It’s worthwhile if you can get a stack of them in the same place, or while you’re in the neighborhood. It’s usually about 10-15 minutes.

HWB.

Per notarial certificate.