What they don't tell newbies

For mixed sizes, legal and letter, you have to print “as PDD documents”. That option is where you see "choose size paper "

2 Likes

That’s great , you will learn as you go.

eBay is also your friend for equipment to start out with. You can get a decent printer and mobile scanner at a pretty good price

1 Like

I agree - and think that’s the best thing to do - invest but not a King’s Ransom - some folks make it and are very successful - then some can’t make a go of it and return to corporate America - best to buy good used first until you find out which way your business will go…then upgrade.

Example: I got a Hewlett Packard Series 4300, dual tray for $85 on ebay, free shipping; prints about 40 ppm; bought it 7 years ago and it’s still going strong. TIP: If you choose the e-bay route (or any other off-market seller) pay close attention to monthly duty cycle AND, more important, the page count on the machine - will give you an idea of the anticipated remaining life of the machine.

JMO

1 Like

Where did you get your training? I ask because you said you thought it was ok to use Fedex. Are you aware of the Notary Signing Agent Agent Code of Conduct by the Signing Professional’s Workgroup (SPW)? I know the NNA training refers to it. Some others may also, but I am not personally aware…

Section 6 specifically discusses maintaining client/borrower privacy and confidentiality…

1 Like

The Brother HL L6200DW is also a good one under $200.

3 Likes

If you purchased a 1 tray laser printer (to use for now), consider buying the Professional package from Page Separator to help with printing legal & letter page documents and eliminate printing paper errors and frustration.

I got my training from the LSS, Loan Signing System (Mark Wills).

1 Like

Privacy laws you should not ever give docs to anyone else to copy and never use a public printer! Any course should teach a new loan signing agent that. Learn your state notary laws it’s much more than sign and stamp!

2 Likes

Don’t forget to have paper and toner on hand!

And extra drums - in Brothers machines the toner and drum are separate - so keep an extra drum or two on hand

dzcoles, you do realize that Code of Conduct and the SPW are both products of NNA…they are nothing official. When I and many others started in this business 14 years ago they didn’t even exist - and we did just fine…in fact, sometimes better without them.

4 Likes

I have recently heard that one can LEASE a printer and that service includes getting your supplies and any maintenance issues that need attending to, taken care of. It’s a fee but includes paper/toner etc.
Also -Notary Rotary has a PDF page sorter, it’s free

1 Like

Hello, the answer is NO. You should look for capital and get your own printer or rent one. Printing in public printers is not a good idea since you are dealing with people information.

3 Likes

Never print at fedex, then you work for them too… Renting/leasing is a fools game.
Keep all your income and invest in yourself and your business.

I use old HP 4000 & HP 4050, Best most durable laser printer ever made, I have many of them. And the toner is very cheap on Ebay. $5-$10 per toner cart get between 7000 up to 15000 copies per toner cart.

Good luck

1 Like

Hi,
I am also new. I have so many questions and trying to learn so much as once. Can you send me an email: jowork4u@gmail.com

Any help would be great!
Jo

If you have a Cartridge World in your area they have a Free printer business program where they offer you a free printer and free printer service as long as you are buying their toner. No commitment, no monthly fee. Start up is just 2 toners and a drum. They invoice that start up . Great program. I have been with them. for 2 years.
It is less expensive than a lease without the 5 year commitment. Cartrideworld dot com

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from What they don't tell newbies:

THATS NOT A GOOD BUSINESS ROUTE TO TAKE. BUY THE EQUIPMENT.I BOUGHT ALL MINE REFURBISHED-SCANNER,PRINTER,LAPTOP.
YOU ARE WORKING FROM THE WRONG END FORWARD

1 Like

Before upgrading to a Ricoh MP5055, I used nothing but entry-level dual tray Brothers, Purchase after market compatable toners from Amazon and you will give yourself a HUGE raise by avoiding FedEX/UPS stores to print, not to mention you will be in compliance as far as using public computers to handle private data.

You’ll need to setup your printer for printer both legal and legal sized documents. If you need help, contact that printer brand’s tech support line.