Who credentials Trainers

While I agree with self-starting & perserverance, researching viability is mandatory, too.
I mean, no matter how much I may want to make sandals for garden gnomes–there is no market. Nor do I think opening the 4th hotdog stand at an intersection is a guaranteed success.

4 Likes

FYI: This would be a component of any professional business owner’s formal Business Plan. Just an additional justification for self-education/training/mentoring as I referenced above.

:swan:

You are right. I said no training and mentoring based on my experience and opinion:). I agree with your disagreements.

1 Like

I’m sorry but that is just downright funny, Arichter!!! :smiley:

1 Like

I should have made it more clear! What I want to say was it’s not necessary to get formal training or mentoring from those teachers who are selling classes. All you need is get your BGC and Re-Certified annually via NNA training in order to be a certified NSA to do loan closing.

Which includes NNA training and certification test…no?

I’m going to disagree with your post here. There is nothing more dangerous to the general public than an untrained notary dipping there fingers into someone’s major financial transaction. You cannot put a price or discount good, comprehensive training to help one get to their “A” game.

JMO

5 Likes

Of course, I honestly thought the question was about training and mentoring from other teachers who are teaching people to be NSA and show them how to make a lot of money.

Yes you have to be trained and certified by NNA to be an NSA. What I want to say was all you need is NNA and you don’t need to waste money paying for all these other classes out there. And no I’m definitely not an untrained notary as you put it. I think this subject is getting off track. I will stop now.

The poster asked about mentorship: I understood it as in addition to the NNA training and certification, is it required to get a mentor to train you the ins and outs in a job as an NSA? We all know that NNA does not offer mentoring side of the business. And I answered based on my own experience and my own opinion . Please read his questions again and don’t be so quick to presume and judge me. I know that you have bias against me.

If you look at the previous posts out there. I am very supportive of being a sponge and absorb all you can through training and educating yourself to gain knowledge in this business on top of NNA training and certification but it is NOT necessary! It is all up to the person because for some it’s like pouring water on a duck head it will not stick. Or the American saying. you can bring the water to the horse but you can’t make him drink!

@VIPnotaryCO all due respect to you, but you need to calm down and let this go - you have clearly made your point.

Again, all due respect.

5 Likes

OK thank you. I’m letting it go! :grin:

Too funny. I’m going to steal the Garden Gnome Sandals from you. :rofl:

1 Like

I’m with you Riverpoint. That was just too funny

The original question was centered on who certifies, credentials, the trainers. The concept was 'what credentials do the trainers posses that insures what they are teaching is based generally accepted practice and experience.

The Bar Association, the American Board of Engineering and Technology, Board of Medical Examiners, etc. all hold that the professionals have met professional standards. It seem the NSA trainers lack any form of credentialing.

1 Like

I don’t know!..… :woman_shrugging:t2: I was answering your “mentorship” question……
and things got off track! :joy:

This should give an idea of how the professional code is deliberated and managed:

The NNA exam is designed to demonstrate understanding of the SPW code - and it’s up to the Signing Agent to then approach which mentor or outfit seems worthy of connecting with to explore the learning curve and set goals for their individual expectations.

Anyone can be a SA ‘trainer’ as it’s an entrepreneurial endeavor (unlike a Notary Public, which is an office of the state and regulated by the government - depending on the state, trainers generally must be approved based on their curriculum).

Those who assume the niche of becoming a mentor base it off their experience and creativity. Those who are highly regarded are generally successful based on their personal success, reputation for credibility, and client satisfaction - just like anything else built upon entrepreneurship.

Early in this thread, I basically said ‘nobody trains the trainers’ and then we all went haring off down rabbit holes. rachel4notary has brought us back to the reality of NSAs.

Having ‘been there’ while this field went from TCs needing ‘a notary with knowledge of real estate / lending / title’ to travel to a Borrower with o/n docs for big bucks–$100 (mid 90’s…equivalent of about $200 today), thru the beginning of Directories / print fees of $50/ being valued–then onto the boom years of 2000-06 with increased demand for ‘notaries–no experience needed’ (shortly later–at the behest of TCs–is when NNA got it’s claws into us–during which time it attempted to set low fees–and got shot down by the DOJ. Not long after, the SPW came into existance thru the NNA (hint: check who the SPW is—TCs & SS). Now BGC, E&O, Certification are ‘required’.

Simultaneously comes the lending crisis of 2008 with far fewer refis. Enter 'entreprenuers making up for lost income by hyping/selling ‘training programs’, resulting in the no-experience-required climbing aboard the 6 figure train. With so many newbs available & hungry, Platforms evolve and fees offered go down (while pkg size goes UP with ‘instructions’).

To get back to original question: Nobody certifies trainers or mentors; in other words: entreprenuers welcome! It’s still the wild west for trainers/mentors like it was for notaries prior to 2003-ish. Have at it. Success depends on ‘perceived’ value–which is not necessarily actual value. Note that both NNA/SPW have always encouraged mentors–while those who were making some bank weren’t enthused about training the competition–having seen what notary oversaturation & platforms did to fees offered.

I have one other corrolary to make: (not sure if this is true in all states) Appraisers have paid training programs/certification/must work FOR another certified appraiser prior to going it alone–which has led to quite a bit of ‘control-over-competition’ and avoided the oversaturation of the field; unlike NSAs!

2 Likes

Actually, I think making sandals for garden gnomes is probably the better idea–the giggle factor might make it this year’s Billy Bass or Pet Rock.

2 Likes

“NNA claws” Do ya hear that financial ‘sucking sound’ of the NNA draining money out of our shockingly diminishing pockets annually??

:100: Percent Accurate, Arichter. The NNA spewed the SPW into existence with Directors comprising their board who had never provided these services and who knew very little about what it requires all the while creating “guidelines” (read as “demands”) including attire for certified notary signing agent [CNSAs] to adhere to . . .

Some like to spout: “the NNA is the gold standard

Anyone who knows this business sector is fully cognizant that this statement is the farthest thing from the truth. The NNA isn’t an association . . . it’s a For-Profit business. A little research will confirm it. The NNA doesn’t fight for us to have notarization fees adjusted upwards, nor do they advocate for us to prevent negative activity from a legislation standpoint, they don’t offer reasonable prices on their supplies for us, etc.

Correct, Arichter. When the Background Checks [BGCs] first started to become popular about 2010 (over a decade ago), the Title/Escrow Companies [T/ECs] would usually not request an update once a BGC was performed. We all know that leopards DON’T change their spots. Hence, no need for any update requests once a CNSA was vetted and in their system/database of trusted CNSAs.

A few years after that, it appears the NNA was hungry for an additional revenue stream and created a need by recommending to the T/ECs that a new BGCs be requested once every 3 years. Fast-forward another 1.5 years and the NNA was recommending to the T/ECs that BGCs be requested once every 2 years. Fast-forward another year and the NNA was recommending to the T/ECs that BGCs be requested annually! Does the saga of how to boil a frog come to mind here?? Albeit this saga has been debunked by MythBusters.

Concur here as well, Arichter, with a minor side-note . . . Didn’t really see the floodgates open on the BONANZA: Get-your-6-figure-income, used-car salesman training program (NOTE: only is successful in rarified regions of the US) until just before COVID-19 hit.

======

Yep!

The MAJOR concern I have is . . .

We all know that the NNA eavesdrops on our forums and takes information from them to “create” articles and mine ideas for additional revenue streams.

If we beat this drum too much longer, I suspect that we may see the result of bringing this to light via a public forum . . .

:swan:

1 Like