Why do you need a copy of my stamp and more information?

Nope. Your stamp doesn’t go to anyone anywhere unless it’s on a valid notary certificate. They do not get a copy of that.

What insurance are they asking for? Your E&O or your car insurance? (I did have that request once and by you saying your "insurance card I’m assuming that’s what you mean). I won’t give them my car insurance info - none of their business.

My DL - redacted…so relatively useless. They don’t need my PII.

2 Likes

Yes, it was car insurance. What information on your DL is redacted?

Basically everything but my name, but most especially my DL # and address and D.O.B.

Ok, thanks for the guidance on this one. I really appreciate it.

1 Like

All that is public is reasonable when a company is paying you, they need to make sure they are not being frauded because their are alot of notaries that are not credentialed properly for their state, they may be in a state that need you to have title producers license and a certain amount of insurance and all a notary may have is a stamp, if the stamp does not have the commission expiration, they will want more.

1 Like

They mean your notary insurance and how much you carry, 25k-500k etc… not your car insurance

The industry standards as expressed by LindaH-FL & noblenotary615 are COMPLETELY accurate and represent the professional manner in which an Independent Contractor certified notary signing agent [CNSA] would administer their business providing professional CNSA services.

NOTE: The other opinion on this thread is inaccurate and solely represents the opinion of the signing service C2C.

Always remember to consider the source of information you receive. :angel::pray::sparkles:

You can run a Search (upper right/magnifying glass) as it’s usually quicker than waiting for someone to reply.

Here is one germane thread available, but there are MANY in the Notary Cafe database to review:

2 Likes

Well, OP said “Insurance card” - that to me is auto insurance since E&O doesn’t issue cards. That’s why I asked the question to the OP

1 Like

You understood correctly, Linda. PAC Signing (I thought they were a title company) asked for the regular information first then started asking for more personal information: car insurance, driver’s license and the stamp. This was my first encounter with the company.
WFG Mobile asked for the driver’s license, car insurance and nearest relative.
There were other companies that asked for personal information. The advice given by some notaries is to sign up with as many signing services as possible. I’m beginning to rethink this advice.

1 Like

That’s sound advice - but you strictly control your personal information - there’s a limit as to what they need -

2 Likes

I am a fairly new Notary. But I have also become a Certified Notary Signing Agent and a Online Notary Public in Texas. I had to have my notary stamp + digital signature completed to be able to handle Online Notarization. I have to give to any platform for that purpose. As for the DL and SSN that could be because you are working as an Independent Contractor for the Escrow or Title company. By law anyone making over $600 a year would then be given a 1099 tax form at the end of the year showing what the company paid you as a contractor. If you have a LLC you can give them your EIN and that would be acceptable. I would simply ask them why the request?

1 Like

Any notary doing signings as an independent contractor should be getting an EIN from irs.gov, whether they’re an LLC or sole prop. You should never be giving your social security number to anyone. The RON certification is one thing but I’m not so sure you are required to give a copy of your digital signature to anyone; as for your standard stamp, that only goes on a notary cert associated with a particular notarial act - not on a blank piece of paper. All of the above along with the DL - should be a redacted copy with all PII blocked out. To do otherwise is identity theft looking to happen

4 Likes

This is absolutely correct, by LindaH-FL.

Always remember to consider the source of information you receive. :angel::pray::sparkles:

======

NOTE: Proactively guard your NPPI. Identify theft continues to be rampant. There is no valid reason for providing the following:

Your personal SSN [only provide the EIN for your business]
A copy of your drivers license [unless you’ve redacted the NPPI].
A copy of your personal auto insurance Declarations Page and/or Policy.
A copy of your Notarial stamp [caveat => in some states only notarized docs are to have a notary stamp applied].

3 Likes

Same here for both of us !

2 Likes

If they are a legit title, lender or bank it should be fine. you should check them out completely. i really can not blame them if they want to see a copy of your drivers license, auto ins and a stamp on a piece. if i were them i would need to know you are totally legit.

Well, depending on your state - in Florida it’s illegal to stamp a blank piece of paper. A copy of my current commission (or a quick check of my state’s website for which I’d provide a link) will confirm I’m an active notary.

4 Likes

CA-illegal to use your stamp for anything except notary certificates

1 Like

Same here. That should be sufficient. :point_up:

I have also been asked by a company to provide my stamp on a blank piece of paper. She said to write through it void…I just declined…

CA: absolutely no, that would be a violation of law.