Why I don't like night and weekend signings

Calling the client is the best course of action, this is only after you tried to get a hold of the signing & title company.

Tell the borrower the situation on the phone, and ask how they want to proceed. 99% of the time, they will refuse to sign.

With that answer, you save a to print fee, travel fee, and further waste of your time.

Plan B: You caught the incorrect name on the docs at the signing, complete the sign and skip those document that are wrong. Make a call to signing co. or title co., explain the issue, then drop the package.
They will pay you to sign resign or just sign the wrong docs on a separate order.

Everyone wins, except the customer (delay in closing), not your fault.

1 Like

You are correct, of course. But, to my way of thinking, your time is already wasted because you’ve missed the opportunity for another paying assignment but for this error on the part of the title company. Personally, I would do what I need to do to get paid – twice, if need be. Just another way of looking at the same issue.

1 Like

Tisino, I want to thank you for your careful and thoughtful (and wise) responses to this issue! This provided great insight and education for me should I find myself in this position. I’ve had signings on weekends and late in the evenings when I haven’t been able to get in touch with anyone, and I’ve had to make those tough judgment calls – but I’ve also documented everything carefully for the SSCO and the title company so they would know exactly what I chose to do and why in the absence of any input during the signing. And I’ve offered to follow up to correct or re-sign documents in the event what I chose to do was not the correct decision. It has all worked out really well and both the SSCOs and title companies have been appreciative of my efforts to go above/beyond to ensure the signing is done correctly in the end. Again, I very much appreciate the wisdom of your response – very helpful for those of us who are still relatively new to this business!

1 Like

Thank you, spagel, for your feedback. I offer response on those issues which I have faced, realizing that my experience and suggestions will not fit everyone nor all situations. I try to be thoughtful and balanced in every response and hope that works for greater rather than fewer fellow notaries and members of this forum. Glad you felt supported in your decision making. Good luck going forward.

Are you mentoring or training? You seem very knowledgeable?

Thank You for the Compliment. :sparkles::angel:

No, it’s not something I’ve considered.

1 Like

That needs to be placed squarely back in the agency’s court. I let the signer know that I’ve not received all of the paperwork and that I’ve contacted my ‘contact’ and suggest they give a call to their lender and as soon as I hear back, I’ll let them know’. I use whatever methods available to leave the info for the agency/title co and tell them to get back to me. (always in writing, hopefully via phone and text too) I don’t waste time going to a signing if all of the required info is not given to me. Let the people who make the decisions on what to sign make those decisions. It is not us! :slight_smile:

And, like many others, I rarely take a weekend signing. Personal preference.

I got read the riot act for an after hours siging that i did not complete. The figures were wrong by a very large amount. No one answered at the
SS company and no return call. Lender said to go ahead and sign and he would correct later. I told signers they had a choice. We discussed loan lock date. Etc. They canceled. The SS was furious next day. I never even got paid a trip fee!! Happens.

I am so sorry to hear that. If it’s a title company they would pay your full fee because you printed, you drove, you went over the documents with the clients, you contacted the lender, etc. yep full fee.

1 Like

You have good advice . I usually accept weekend and after hours work and have run into issues with no on available to resolve it.
Thanks

It is no secret that it makes sense to charge more for weekend and after hours work (whatever that means). I often accept such jobs if I don’t have much going on the weekend and I want some extra vacation/golf money.

As my ol’ sweet daddy used to say, “Dowhatchagottado”.