2022 Standard Mileage Rates

IRS Notice Notice 2022-03 outlines the new mileage rates for 2022.

Beginning Jan. 1, 2022, the standard mileage rates for the use of a car (also vans, pickups or panel trucks):

58.5 cents per mile driven for business use
18 cents per mile driven for medical care or moving expenses for purposes of certain members of the Armed Forces
14 cents per mile driven in service of charitable organizations

If you have any questions seek the advice of a qualified professional.

18 Likes

@RiverpointeTax => Thank You for the update. :sparkles::angel:

2 Likes

Good information, thanks.

1 Like

Just keep in mind tbat, in this business as a mobile notary, those guidelines are only for deduction purposes on your 2022 tax return…it doesn’t mean that’s all you can charge for mileage and travel. Don’t base your rates for travel time and mileage at 58.5 cents per mile…you can charge whatever you want for that providing your state allows it.

Thank you to @RiverpointTax for the update

9 Likes

Excellent reminder, LindaH-FL. Thanks. This will be especially helpful for those who didn’t already know . . . :sparkles:

4 Likes

The mileage deductions is meant to cover your operating cost (fuel, insurance, tires, maintenance, etc) of a typical consumer vehicle. The deductions do not include toll charges or parking fees; these are itemized separately. Keep your receipts and your tax pro will love you.

You can charge any fee that you wish for travel as long as it’s within and according to your State’s regulations. Billing by the mile means your wait time in traffic isn’t being compensated. Billing by the hour means you’re getting paid while the highway department cleans up the wreck that’s blocking traffic. Whether you bill by the mile, hour, or flat fee, always be consistent. Flipping between various methods will get the attention of the IRS should you get audited.

6 Likes

Anyone who uses a vehicle for business got royally screwed in 2021 when the deduction went from 2020’s 57.5 cents a mile to 56.0 cents–followed by gasoline prices going through the roof. So now we go up by 2.5 cents per mile in 2022, but most of that only makes up for what we got beat for already. Not exactly great news. The net one penny bump doesn’t even begin to cover the outrageous increase in fuel costs that have occured in 2021.

@FBagnato123 you’re absolutely correct - I use my personal vehicle for my Census Bureau work and am paid time and mileage door to door - that cut last year really hurt; glad they raised it again and, yes, I’d have liked a bit more too…

1 Like

Thank you for the update. I think it also applies to standard expenses but you might also be eligible to deduct unusual expenses like a fender-bender and traffic fines, not that notaries ever get those…

Unfortunately Fender Benders and Traffic Fines aren’t deductible expenses. Refer to IRS Publication 529 for the details.

Tax Pros, through their professional associations, are pettitioning the IRS to raise the mileage rates. As soon as I get word of any changes, I’ll update here. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

Good!! That happened several years ago - rates were changed/increased effective 7/1 -I don’t recall the exact year but I do recall having to keep a close eye on my mileage calculations.

I had a feeling this was going to happen.

Rates need to be changed retroactive to Jan 1, 2022, and even then, it won’t make up for the screwing we got in 2021. Small business owners, limited resources, unable to make a living, having to virtually beg the gubmint for help --exactly the way politicians want it to be.