2023 Paper Costs

I’m sure not the only person to notice increase in paper supply costs in 2023. Companies need to get away from printing documents on legal size paper as much as possible. Not all docs require legal size format. I had not ordered legal size paper since 2022 and shocked to see increase in costs. If someone has a good price source for 8.5x14 bright 96 20lb paper please share. Appreciate any and all input. Thank you!!

4 Likes

I bought in bulk a couple years ago, so I’m good for now with things running slow. Like a gas gauge I’m watching my paper stores slowly diminish.

1 Like

Same here. My storage supply is diminishing. Old school lenders and title companies need to change habits. Not all docs require legal size format.

2 Likes

FWIK many lenders are using legacy software to draft documents. Until Lender’s ‘feel’ more comfortable with the economy/future securing updated software is on hold. The software I used has to update annually with changes in Tax. This is not a low cost endevour.

I would rather see more ipen closings as opposed to paper. So wasteful with all the technology at our fingertips.

1 Like

What really irks me is the requirement to print ALL LEGAL when the document set is mostly Letter-sized documents. That requirement is probably because not all notaries have dual tray printers or the proper software to separate between the two sizes. I also see many times where a document set was scanned all Legal because a few pages are truly Legal size. If the documents aren’t centered it is possible to scroll through the packet and print the proper size. Legal paper is three to four times the price of the already expensive Letter paper. The Borrower copy in this case will be printed shrink to fit, either all pages, if you are in a rush, or by scroll through if you aren’t. The only drawback being do-over signatures might be on the wrong sized paper.

Walmart $8.77 for 92 bright. That’s what I use. Why do you need 96?

1 Like

Thanks for Walmart suggestion. Last time I was in Walmart in my town they didn’t have legal size paper. My daughter happened to be in store and she picked up last 2 reams. We have no office supply stores and big box stores don’t have legal size paper and that includes Costco. Next best option is Amazon and their prices have increased a lot. Ordering online and having delivered from big box stores might as well order from Amazon because I have prime and don’t pay shipping. If I happen to be signing in a larger city will check other options at the time.

Looks like I paid $79 for a case of 10 reams from Staples on Dec. 30th. That might’ve included a “reward,” not sure. That’s still ridiculous to me, but I’m thankful that there seems to be less and less use of legal size paper in loan/title packages.

Thank you for your response. We don’t have a Staples Store in my town and nearest is 60 miles RT. They did have price as you stated above ~ shipping fees are ridiculous. Walmart has similar pricing per ream. In the past my paper use 8.5x11 paper annually significantly more and legal approx 6 reams annually. Since current month is March and have not used all legal paper stock from 2022 not anxious to stock up yet. Really appreciate input on paper pricing from others. Thanks again.