A title company has asked me to stamp a blank sheet of paper and scan it to her

A title company has asked to stamp a blank sheet of paper and send it to her because she says she has some stamps that are light and she needs this for recording purposes… Is this legal… I trust this company but I don’t want to do anything questionable…

NOOOOOOOOO!!! NEVER never never never!!!

That title agent needs to be put over a knee and soundly spanked. She should know better!

Tell her to send you copies of the forms with faint stamps. If you did indeed perform the notarial acts, you should complete the appropriate loose forms for your state (acknowledgements, jurats), note which document each should be matched with, then forward those forms to her.

If your stamps are light, reink the pad on your imprinter.

5 Likes

As Judi said - no you cannot; and not knowing where you’re located, you’ll need to check your state laws - some states (like in FL) would require you to get the document (or a new one), revisit the signers and notarize in front of them. Florida does not allow any changes to notarial certs after the fact.

3 Likes

Thanks for the addition, Linda!

1 Like

Great advice… thanks… I checked my state and I notified Title and we are not doing this.

Thanks again.

2 Likes

The stamp was fine… the signing took place outside in the rain on a covered porch with a wicker table top, from now on I will have an old cutting board with me to use just in case this happens again. Thanks for your quick response.

A couple notaries here (in another thread) have made a great suggestion - they carry clipboards just for this purpose (hate to admit that in 15 years I never thought of this…lol) . Might be lighter for you to carry than a cutting board

Just a thought.

1 Like

No, absolutely not lol. That’s against the most basic universal rules of being a notary.

1 Like

Blank paper i wouldn’t even lick and send. Let alone stamp it. Absolutely not