Acceptable forms of payment

I had a company tell me they didn’t issue hard checks after I refused to give them Zelle information. My bank was totally against the transfer and begged me not to do it! I do not use PayPal as I have had issues with them in the past. What other forms of payment do you guys accept. I did eventually end up with a email check which I printed and deposited.

Curious as to why your bank begged you not to use Zelle? I’ve received payment via Zelle a few times with no problems. Can you elaborate on this?

1 Like

Glad to share! I had never used Zelle and while I was in the bank I asked them about the platform. The assistant manager asked what I wished to use it for. He then stated that they are having a lot of issues with fraud and only recommended using this with people I know. He stated it’s has become an issue that he would only recommend transfers between family and friends (that’s easy to track). Never fully elaborated. Would be glad to give you his contact info in an email if you wish to talk to him. It sounds perfect for our purpose but maybe being naive, I followed the banks advice.

Are you using a business checking account?? I never had an issue. Zelle is a quick form of payment. I never discriminate on any kind of money lol…

1 Like

After you said your bank wasn’t on board, I googled. Seems the fraud issue with Zelle is not with receiving the funds. It’s the RECEIVING party who’s doing the frauding… A person pays for something or a sevice thru Zelle, but doesn’t get what they paid for. Once you PAY, you can’t take it back or undo it. Which is perfect for us. Frankly, wish everyone would pay by Zelle because it’s nearly instantaneous.

3 Likes

Well that does sound ideal! Now I’ll call customer service to get the info.

I sincerely believe Keith had my best interest at heart. Maybe he didn’t understand the process for me. I’ll call customer service next.

I accept all forms of payment Echeck, Zelle, Paypal, Cash App, Venmo, Credit Card, ACH, Check, etc. Never had an issue with any method. As long as you are receiving you should not have an issue.

2 Likes

Also… My son sold an item to someone who Zelled him the money. They later claimed that they did not get the item and the money was reversed out of my sons account and he got blocked from using Zelle again.

1 Like

Thanks…that’s good to know. Oh, for the good old days…when you met face to face, handed 'em cash & left with your purchase. I honestly don’t like all this cyber stuff. IMHO, just because something can be done, doesn’t necessarily mean it should be done. **

3 Likes

Too many forms of cyber payment out there in the real world and everything is hackable. I recall news on tv few months back talking about Zelle getting hacked. I’m old fashioned and get paid on general notarizations by cash or check since 2015 and no issues. Notary brokers, title companies, other real estate vendors pay me via hard copy check or online payment check processing and so far has been ok. I also had a bad experience with Pay Pal in the past and will never use them again. Know my old fashioned ways could turn on me some day but will take the risk. Everyone needs to know their limits for risk.

1 Like

I hope you do not accept checks for general notary work.

2 Likes

Why not? I am curious. I have accepted plenty of checks for general notary work please elaborate.

Thank you
Jennifer D’Eliseo

3 Likes

Zelle is under a huge lawsuit!!Huge.A lot of fraud with people taking money and them taking money from people illegally.

2 Likes

You and I can relate. I for one will never use PayPal again and it had nothing to do with notary. FYI, I’ve recently read where the emailed check links (where you print a copy of the check) is starting to be denied by some banks. I have no problem with mine thus far but wanted to share. I believe with Zelle my bank was referencing their getting hacked and even though I would be using a separate account they could possibly get access to the others. I’ll take a hard check any day! Remember when the only worry was about whether they had sufficient funds or not? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I for one will never associate with PayPal again. Once you’ve had the experience you will understand. Good luck! Keep your eyes open! I hope that luck continues for you.

The assistant branch manager was very adamant about only using it to transfer money between family and close friends. He went as far to say if there is another way for personal use…consider using that.

We’re talking about transfer of funds not a hard copy check. Zelle wants your banking information so a company can pay you through them. Same as PayPal basically. If you received hard copy checks…kudos!

Have been accepting checks for almost a decade now and no issues. I am very careful who I service for general notary work and yes research person before I take assignment. I traveled all over the US and other countries prior to retirement and now how to be careful before reaching my current ripe old age. Everyone has to decide what risks they take but be careful out there. I communicate with my daughter when I’m out and about and she is able to track me.

1 Like

My Pal Pal fiasco happened approx 10 years ago will never use PP again. Like you had nothing to do with Notary business. Account with Wells Fargo for decades. Approx 12 years ago purchased item using PP. At that time did not know they retained card information for purchase forever. While at work Wells Fargo Security called me and noticed unusual activity on my card. Someone charged thousands of dollars on card which included tickets to Disney and hotel reservations. WF and PP security worked together and I didn’t have to pay for fraud charges. I called local police and explained people booked hotel but had not checked in and provided fraud case #'s. PD caught people when they went to check in and that is a gotcha !

1 Like