Accepting Low fees makes it Bad for other Notaries

Fass has their quirks, but I can forgive a great deal for regular weekly paychecks.

Hint: Establish a fee schedule YOU can live with, not their suggested rates.

3 Likes

I tried to sign up through their website but I’m getting an error…

Send an email to vr@firstam.com (vendor relations) asking them for a vendor setup packet.

Fass has Quicken Loans modifications at $100 right now.

3 Likes

That email address came back undeliverable.

Try fass.vr@firstam.com

I ent a request to the email and I got back “address not found”

I am getting an Error message on FASS while trying to sign up also.

fass.vr@firstam.com should be good.

Hi all! I’m a new SA as well. I completed 4 signings, $85 each. The last signing I had was located a little more than 20 miles from where I am, however, it took me over an hour to get there during rush hour traffic. It wasn’t until then that I realized I cannot take signings in certain areas during that time frame unless they are willing to pay more for it. The travel time for me to get there, complete the refi signing in 45 mins, until I got home was almost 4 hours. Since then, if I put in a proposal rate for $100+, I don’t get assigned, which is perfectly fine with me.

I’m glad someone wrote about the low ball offers because I just had a conversation with my husband about how I have to either go direct or propose higher fees. I have a certain goal I’m trying to reach and I can’t do it taking those offers. Yes, I can say I took the lower rate signings to gain experience because I am new, but I would be worn out taking low-ball offers to travel out of my way and end up making minimum wage minus my expenses (paper, ink, wear & tear on my car, gas/milage, data using Google maps, etc.).

5 Likes

Omg…agree 1,000%. It’s so distressing seeing people in other groups encouraging new signing agents to take these $30 - $85 signings to “gain experience”. All professionals, real estate agents, loan officers, attorneys, etc, maintain professional fees by sticking together on an appropriate window. While we can not set fees, we can and do know, what is an appropriate fee for our service. Additionally, here’s what taking these fees mean to the person accepting them: $15-$30 per hour. Is that really enough money to take on the liability of running your own business. #mystified

1 Like

Question, I have been writing to title companies to get on their notary preferred list but the response is they look for notaries with a year or more experience. I have only been a SA for 4 months with no actual signings under my belt, except 4 loan modification and general notary work. I have gone through the LSS training and picked up more training alone the way. How else can I get actual signings without the year or more experience at doing some actual signing that pay like I hear so much about?

Doesn’t the LSS course give you any leads of companies that hire their “graduates”? That’s one of the best perks of the Notary2Pro course - they at least have a list of companies that hire their graduates to get them going. They also mentor their graduates with good, viable answers to questions that you can rely on. Sorry to hears the LSS program just throws you out there like that.

1 Like

You are absolutely correct! I never take the first offer. I go higher than the amount I will accept and if they take the offer, I am happy, if not and they negotiate a little lower then I will accept their counter. Notaries they low ball you because they know that the next notary will take their offer.

Recently, I had a long day, completing 4 closings by 6pm and was heading home. While driving, I get pinged by national signing company to do an 8PM refi signing for $100.00. I respond back with my availability to take the assignment but for $200.00.

I had a printer in my trunk, so the assignment would have been no real hardship.

Well, I didn’t get the assignment but received an email asking my why I would charge so much for the assignment?

I request a minimum of $125.00 to start my car, so I responded to the email with many points to justify my time, including: its a last minute deal, so there is a premium, I could be at the location in ten minutes, I’m long experienced in the refi business, etc. Stuff like that. Never received a response to my email, And I am not surprised because I concluded the email with a note about supply and demand— the signing companies have no problem low balling Notaries & keeping not splitting the fee for themselves. That’s business. I am shocked that I was questioned to substantiate my fee! The signing companies aren’t paying us! The customer gets to pay the fee as a closing cost. presumably to the title company. The ONLY reason to lowball notaries is to split the closing fee with the lion’s share retained by the signing company. Of course, lenders must be pressuring title companies to lower customer fees, which in turn pressures signing companies to lower fees to title companies, which finally reduces offers to the lowball status. Therefore, I agree to stop accepting lowball offers.

There are too many go betweens in the process— make contact with local title companies and work directly.

3 Likes

Hi, I keep reading on the Notary blogs about newbies not accepting lowball fees, but in my area they most defiantly are driving the prices down. During the height of Covid when no one was working I actually got offered above my average amounts for Notary signings. (and I also do not leave the house for under $100) So I know these companies are getting enough money to pay us higher and still stay in business. But now that people are going back to work even the companies that never tried to lowball me before Covid are offering $65-$85 signing for 160 to 250 pages printed times 2, and when I put in my normal bid it isn’t accepted, unless it’s the end of the month any the lowball accepter’s are all busy. Also I have noticed when my bid is accepted that there are new standard instructions in big bold red color what to do and what not to forget to do. So, that tells me that people are still working for free or actually they might as well just pay the signing company’s money to hire/teach them. Now I am getting the same amount of job offers but no one is accepting my bids, which before and during Covid they always did. When you start a new job and someone on the staff has to show you how to do the job do you tell your new employer that you will accept a lower pay then what you are worth until you fell you are good enough at your job to start getting paid more? No you do not. Because of peoples lack of confidence they are ruining the lively hoods of the Notary’s that know their worth and were making a living at it.

Thank you for letting me rant :blush:

4 Likes

I agree - I really dislike how they take advantage of new notaries like this. But what kills me is the older notaries who swear by the low ball offers because they can knock them out quickly. Last time I checked we don’t have a quota system as NSAs, toner, paper, gas all eat up that $30 pretty quickly.

When compared I prefer Notary Go because even though they can do lower offers, they aren’t as low as some and they offer the weekly pay option which they do adhere to. I’d rather provide my services for them and build the network IF I have to choose between the two.

I agree with you, your material cost: paper, ink cartridges, travel, wear & tear on your vehicle, time to prep, among other things. They are going to start out low, however you need to stand your ground.

Is there another email address or website link, the email and website I received errors.

Hi I’m new, I do agree with you. I did take a refinance that was 200 pages for $75 and I got it at 6pm so I didn’t get to them until 8 because I had to prepare. It was my first signing. I wasn’t done until 11pm because they were readers and kept stopping to make a call. I didn’t feel like it was worth the money. They could of kept the $75. I do have a full time job and I’m not starving.
But I would say this… when you are new they didn’t give you any jobs at all, so when the low balls come in you take it to start working your way higher on the list or get experience. They give the offers to more seasoned signing agents high on the list. I’ve heard those agents get 40 offers a day. I would love to just get a couple that’s reasonable. Maybe I’m with the wrong companies but even when I sign up for good companies I get no offers… smh

1 Like

Alicia, I bet you that most likely your $75 offer came from C2C… don’t worry, you’ll live and learn, and survive. Just keep reading the forums.