Acknowledgement vs jurat

What is the difference between the two and when do I add them to a signing package or how do I know that one of these is needed? Thank you

1 Like

im surprised that this is a real question

1 Like

The difference is fairly simple.

A jurat requires an oath, generally indicated by wording that refers to such, ie “I do swear or affirm…” A jurat also requires that the signer sign in the presence of the notary.

An acknowledgement provides the signer with proof that they have affixed their signature to a document - that they “acknowledge” their signature. Look for the words “acknowledge” or “recognize”, etc. A signer may sign a document to be acknowledged prior to meeting with the notary. However, if that is done, best notarial practice is to ask the signer to verbally acknowledge the signature before notarizing.

3 Likes

Judi’s summary is accurate.

Also, here is a previous thread with helpful info from multiple contributors: Jurat or acknowledgement

1 Like

So, do I need to do this with every signing. I know I had acknowledgements when the signer was the second signer (first was in another state). That is what I’m confused about. I can’t find any clear answer via Google :wink:

Ummm…obviously I have otherwise I wouldn’t be here. Don’t be rude. Some people.

8 Likes

“Add to the package”
The simple answer is No, the document package should contain all certificate documents in the original package; excluding of course the scenario of a “split”/mail-away signings.

Regarding “how do I know” which one to utilize, that decision is to be made by the signer/attorney/escrow officer/loan officer, etc.

NOTE: If you make the decision of which notarial certificate [acknowledgement/jurat] to utilize, you’ll be engaging in Unlicensed Practice of Law [UPL].

1 Like

Thank you cNsa5. That explained everything I was wondering. I have done a split one before and of course I used the acknowledgement. Again, thank you!!!

3 Likes

Sometimes it’s better not to say anything at all.

1 Like

That’s an excellent description from Judy.

Hey GreenHunter we are all just trying to make a living and if someone has a question just treat it as an opportunity to assist or show off your knowledge…don’t make your job to lob some sort of personal attack on the person posing the question.

remember you’re either a help or a hinderance…you must decide which one describes you!

1 Like

i didnt personally attack anyone

Yeah you did…c’mon

“im surprised that this is a real question” – unnecessary snark. Either help the lady out or stay quiet. showing your “surprise” implies she is either stupid or she posted the question in jest… either way, you had no place to call into question the validity of her question.

“I take it you haven’t take any notary courses as of yet???” --a bit presumptuous and the tripple question marks are give aways of your dismissiveness toward the poster.

So, if you think you have all the answers, just help people out and not be a condescending jerk.

5 Likes