Are new notaries able to get work with the signing companies? Do they require experience?

Hi,

I’m a new notary, and I’m interested in getting work from the signing companies. I’ve taken training courses. I also have experience working for title companies, but not as a notary.

Will I be able to get work from the signing companies? Or, are they only willing to work with people who have more experience?

Obviously, the answer is yes as we’ve all been new once. Eventually some co. will give you a job. While you’re waiting for that to happen, you MUST do a lot of work to be prepared for the nearly inevitable low offer. Read this and other forums to get a clue about all the loan variables possible and while you’re not under pressure to provide YOUR fee—figure out what fee would be PROFITABLE for each type of loan plus all the other variables. Also travel time & mileage can really impact profitability, so you need to figure that out for every area you’re willing to travel to. Package size, faxbacks also impact profitability, so know your costs. Make up a chart & keep it handy because once you’ve put yourself in the bargain bin with any co—that’s where you’ll stay.

3 Likes

Hello, I’m a new signing agent and I’ve read that we are not supposed to discount our rate because it makes it hard on the notaries that have much more experience.

That’s not the problem at all. An experienced notary simply won’t agree when a fee is not profitable (and some of the fees I’ve seen ‘offered’ are truly pathetic). The problem is for the new signing agent who accepts a low fee, hoping to be able to prove themselves or gain some experience or even ‘get a signing’ and so be able to increase their fee to a higher PROFITABLE level. This will not happen as once you’ve PLACED YOURSELF in the bargain bin, you will not be able to get out as ‘the low fee WAS accepted…and that’s all we pay’.
Oh, sure, you might be able to get them up $5 or $10, (odds are they’ll just move on the the next newb) but you’ll never get them to where the fee should have been in the first place. They know this game very well and use it to prey on new agents all the time.

1 Like

Hi,
I don’t know what state you are in (not that it matters) but if you have a membership to the NNA (National Notary Association) that is a very helpful site. Most title and signing companies want at least 2 years of experience…(unless that has changed). Watch out for the signing companies(not all are bad) If you happen to be in Arizona Id love to sit and chat with you! you could even send me an email and we can chat that way! I am self taught and believe me I have made a ton of costly mistakes.(I guess that is why I have the passion and push to guide other Novice Notaries) Someone commented that we were all New Once!!
If you want to reach out to me please feel free I am at abigailsnotary@gmail.com or call/Text me 602-329-0781
Good luck
Abby

Oh I forgot to mention I have been doing mobile signings since 1997!
Abby

1 Like

Thank you. I’ve been a notary off and on with different companies that I worked at, but just got my signing agent credentials last quarter of 2018. I have done 2 signings - one for $75, the other $100. I put together a flyer to promote myself to the title companies in my area, one responded with a package of paperwork to fill out. They require $100,000 error and omissions insurance (I currently have $50). Is there anything else us newbies can do?