Asset Recovery Man Asks Notary "Can You Ask Their Neighbors If She's Dead?"

Yesterday I was asked to print out and bring documents to notarize to an alleged customer of an Asset Recovery Firm located in Hawaii of all places. I made sure to thoroughly confirm the appointment was made for me to arrive to knock on their door. I asked “is she expecting me?” I was told yes twice, they were expecting me. I was asked to call the firm when I arrived to speak with them by conference call prior to notarizing the documents.

When I arrived to the appointment in the Richmond District of San Francisco near Golden Gate Park the home seemed abandoned, decayed and uninhabitable. No one answered and it was a typical haunted house situation. Even if they had been home I wouldn’t have wanted to enter into their house for potential danger inside of a decaying structure.

No one answered and the Asset Recovery guy said to me “we need to see if she’s dead” as if they never spoke with her. He then asked me to ring the neighbors doorbells to ask if the house is occupied. This demonstrated they had not arranged for a genuine appointment. The neighbor said three people lived there.

What this meant was I was trespassing on private property having been lied to. I was asked to leave a note how to reach me instead of he Asset Recovery guy. I was being used. I got paid for a typical notary visit okay, but I didn’t like the way they lied to me even when I confirmed twice there was an actual appointment.

I noted on the documentation the assets had to do with a distant relative’s pension of a work associate. I just think this sounds fishy. Very strange how these firm’s are fishing for assets and using notaries this way. Any thoughts on how to handle this in the future?

I’d just say no to this co. if they ever contacted me again. Fool me once…

7 Likes

Agree with Arichter;

Two things stand out here for me (besides the whole situation which is horrible) - “we have to see if she’s dead” and “ring the neighborbells’ doors” - oh heck no. Way above my pay grade.

This sounds like field chases and I always avoided them - now I know why. Wow. Glad you were compensated for this and yes, avoid this company in the future.

5 Likes

Here’s my email to them today letting them know I’m aware they lied to me about an alleged appointment.

Carol never called me. I think your firm never had any agreed to appointment with Carol and used me to trespass on her property to solicit your services. You need to inform notaries so we can make a decision based on facts since solicitation this way is unlawful in San Francisco.

First you need to mail info and she needs to agree to sign it. Then after she agrees have the notary involved. This is unlawful what you had me do. Carol may be appalled your firm’s chasing after her over a distant relatives death in 2016.

Why didn’t you have me leave your firms info and involve me as solicitor with my phone number? Really cheesy.

4 Likes

What the recovery company is doing maybe skirting the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act. Having you do the leg work puts you on the hook, not the recovery company. They should be hiring a Private Investigator to do a skip-trace rather than a notary.

5 Likes

Was going to say the same thing this

I know that’s right :wink:

You should report them to their controlling authority.