Assumption signing first time

story time: I was asked to do an assumption at $XX fee.
After accepting I read in the confimration that I would be meeting with “seller\buyer”
Assuming it was a clerical error I double checked and found out that both the buyer and the seller would be present.
I asked for a higher fee $XXX At first the signing service said “No, we’ll give it to another notary”
but later they approved my fee and rehired me for the file.
I’m so glad I asked for a higher fee: 5 total signers, 159 pages
Notaries: Don’t be afraid to ask for a higher fee with “special situation” signings (several signers, buyer and seller present, a million miles away etc) especially if you’ve worked with hiring party for a while.

4 Likes

Good you renegotiated. Ain’t no way 159 pages should be an $XX amount.

4 Likes

Hi Jenn ~ like your style !!

3 Likes

Hi Alice! Thanks a lot.

2 Likes

Thanks Arichter! one win at a time

2 Likes

Me too I had the same thing happen but it was jut 2 people and I asked for a higher fee and they gave it to me too, I always ask just in case and so far it’s been positive.

1 Like

that’s great. If we all keep that up fees will get better\fairer

1 Like

I think it is a good business practice to ask for a higher fee if the work is more than originally advertised. Many times an Assumption is between spouses or ex-spouses so it is a possibility that both parties will be at the table. If the parties are not getting along and they want the notary to travel from one place to another, that is a split signing and a separate fee is in order. Sometimes they will give one part of the signing to one notary and the second one to a different notary. This happened to me recently where both my brother and I were hired to handle the two different sides. In comparing the documents, one set had all three signers documents, and the other had only the one signer’s documents. It was tempting to take the same document set to the second signer but we kept the documents separate.

3 Likes

Yes, It reminded me of a refinance. I was so worried that I would see totally new types of documents but wasn’t too bad.

I love assumptions, I did one in deer park 40 miles RT, 80 pages to execute 160 pages to print. Pay was 50-60$ Took like 30 minutes. 1 hour With scans. Not a bad gig. I’m also one of the few notaries who does debt settlements and loan mods which I love

interesting. $50-60. Were you hired by the signers or a title coompanyor signing service? just curious