Attorney State

So, I live in Nashville, TN. It’s an attorney state. Even though that’s the case, NSAs are still apparently used to do signings. How is this? Mark Wills (from LSS) has multiple videos of testimonials from people making 10k-16k per month as NSAs in attorney states.

My next question is, for direct marketing, should I be emailing and asking for the attorney in charge of the title company or should I be contacting the closing agent? I sent out about 35 emails last week to title companies but I was targeting the closing agents. I didn’t hear anything back from anyone. I’m going into the offices this week. But should I ask for closing agents or the attorney? Should I bother reaching out to real estate agencies?

How does being in an attorney state change this?

Hi there @noblenotary615

Take this with a grain of salt, as I’m not familiar with Tennessee laws surrounding this matter. The first thing that I would suggest is to become VERY familiar with Tennessee’s EXACT laws surrounding what you can and CANNOT do (most of this information is available to you via NNA). I’m in Georgia and we have (I think) the most restrictive laws in the country; we can’t do much in the realm of real estate loan signing, so no $10k a month for us (unless we willingly engage in UPL). With that being said, please research those state laws b/c that will dictate how you market yourself. For example, here in GA. I cannot refer to myself as an NSA or Loan Signing Agent (I can but it’s extremely unwise to do so). If Tennessee laws state that you HAVE to have an attorney to conduct the signing, then you need market your business to local attorneys in the area. Let them know you’re a Notary Public and you are familiar with the closing process/loan signing process and would like to offer your assistance to them if they have closings that they can’t physically attend.

Mark Wills is GREAT at motivating people into the industry and his testimonials are true; HOWEVER, the full the story isn’t being told here. There a LOT of mitigating factors on how agents get to that point! A LOT (market saturation, other services offered other than loan signing, state laws, PT or FT, cost of doing business, etc.)! This journey is a marathon and not a sprint! Be patient. Build connections. Since the Covid restrictions are starting to ease, start going to networking events for the industry; talk to any of your friends that are agents. Most agents are friends or at least friendly with Escrow officers & Title Managers. Register with every signing company out there. If you took the Mark Wills course, there’s a list that he provided at the end of the course.

Lastly, be patient and realistic in your approach. Set REALISTIC goals for yourself. If you are new to this business, take the closings that come your way. Negotiate but don’t demand (especially if you are new), b/c there are LITERALLY thousands of other agents that will take the signing at whatever cost is offered. Know that you WILL make mistakes and it’s ok so long as you learn and educate yourself on whatever the mistake was and vow to ensure that you won’t make that mistake again. Be PROFESSIONAL! Ensure that you have all of your supplies. If you take a signing, google the location and the travel time so that you can give yourself enough time to get there. Keep business cards on you and you can make the electronic business cards through www.hihello.com for free. By doing this, you can either airdrop (if you have an iPhone) or send a QR code to whomever you’re trying to give your info to without having to worry about running out of physical cards. There’s many things that you can do but I think I’ve said enough…sorry about the book I just wrote you! :wink:

Best of luck to you and keep thriving!

steps down off my notary soapbox

2 Likes