Beware the Closer LLC/ BNT

I did an order for the closer llc. They contracted eith Boston National title. They left the guys dead wife on the title, she was dead for 7 years. And I could not get ahold of anybody on either sife, neither could the borrower. I sat there for an hr waiting on confirmation on what to do. I told them i needed my full fee, because that is more than fair. They want me to go out and execute again only giving me a 50 trip fee for the last time amd when I told them I need both full fees they removed me and still only paid me $50. That is just rude and unethical. Beware, never work for this company. I really can not believe the audacity of how they wasted my time.

1 Like

I don’t know if it was the closer but I had similar situation recently and it’s very frustrating. I catch more title / deed issues, it’s insane that it gets to the point if closing with such critical mistakes.
I have worked for the closer and bnt closings for years. They have been good about taking care of me when issues arise. Also, when bnt teams call me I add them to my phone so I have a “back line” or cell # of a human who can get me to some help. Try them again. They pay well and I’ve closed in Dallas bnt offices in person. Decent people. Sorry for situation you experienced

1 Like

Depending on location - dead wife on title isn’t a deal killer - the simple recording of the death certificate with the security instrument would fix it

However, to the OP, you do deserve full fee for being left out to dry on that one. And why did they have to re-execute? Because they realized THEY made a mistake with the docs and sent you out with a useless loan package the first time? There’s your “hook” and I’d write to them demanding the full fee…because if they’d been available and the docs were drawn properly to begin with a re-execution would be a non-issue.

But that’s just me.

1 Like

Taylor, if during the initial scheduled appointment you & the deed holder executed all docs, yes, you should be paid the full fee.

If only a segment of the documents were executed and you expended an inordinate amount of time waiting for their instructions to proceed (or not), then you also should be paid the full fee.

Also, in any instance wherein the fee paid differs from the contractually agreed-to amount, I retain the check, make a copy, scan, and email it along with my detailed invoice with a note requesting a check re-issue in the correct amount. I also advise them that the received check will not be cashed. So, they can pay the full amount in one check and you can shred the received check when you receive the re-issued check for full remuneration.

I also agree with LindaH that a deceased partner remaining on the title to the property isn’t always a deal breaker; especially if their signing instructions explicitly requested you to ask the Signer to provide an original, certified copy of the Death Certificate. Those instructions would infer that they’re cognizant of the deceased Signer condition and are already planning to address it.

FYI: I understand (from several Signers experiences) that the original, certified copy of the Death Certificate from the State has a fee of $8 or more per copy. Of course, these certified copies usually can only be issued by the originating source (usually the State). The Signer will often identify it’s their only remaining original certified copy. As such, they normally will attach a note asking for it to be returned directly to them. They include their name & address on the note.

they still refuse to pay and I have now sent an email to the title company. This has been pretty annoying as I feel like a full fee should be render. The owner sent me this email in response to my request for the full fee. " Good afternoon Taylor,

The Print & Trip Fee for this order is $50.00, this closing has been invoiced and the fee is no longer negotiable. Please be sure to read the confirmation from when you accepted our closing, you agreed to all our fees, changes and decisions when you accepted the signing.

If you choose not to accept the $50.00 payment the check will be null and void in 90 days, I hope this helps.

Have a wonderful day

Kevin Somerville"

He then tried to call me after I sent an email saying I would contact the title company. Too late for that he should have just cut the check.

I for sure used this and they said would not budge. Here is his response email to my request for the full fee. Anuy pointers on how to proceed?

Good afternoon Taylor,

The Print & Trip Fee for this order is $50.00, this closing has been invoiced and the fee is no longer negotiable. Please be sure to read the confirmation from when you accepted our closing, you agreed to all our fees, changes and decisions when you accepted the signing.

If you choose not to accept the $50.00 payment the check will be null and void in 90 days, I hope this helps.

Have a wonderful day

Kevin Somerville

I’ve found them to be a pretty cheap outfit so haven’t done hardly any for them. All quite a while ago, too. Have a question for you, taylorgreennotary… was that $50 trip/print fee at least half of the whole fee OR is that all they pay regardless of the original fee? If the latter, I’m officially blocking them ASAP. Actually, I’ll probably block 'em anyway.

I totally agree that, under the circumstances you described, you are most definitely entitled to the full fee. And pulling you from the re-sign because you asked for full fee is beyond rude/unethical and into cruel and unusual punishment territory, imo.

4 Likes

It is half of the whole fee.