CA: "Document is date sensitive and must sign according to the doc date list on the the deed of trust and note"

Hello,

I just started doing loan signings and i have instructions I don’t understand. The instruction state “Document is date sensitive and must sign according to the doc date list on the the deed of trust and note”. I thought dates had to match day of signing?

Also “If for some reason the Hud/Closing Statement prints with no line . . . please have the borrowers acknowledge and sign it.” I am assuming this means verbally acknowledge it and sign there full name? or Initial?

Sorry, sometimes i think i over think there instructions! Please bare with this new signing agent!

1 Like

Many of the numbers in the documents depend on the exact day the documents are signed. You should be getting clear instructions about what date the signing must occur. This is almost always the same date as given on the “deed of trust” and note. (In many states they use a mortgage instead of a deed of trust.)

I would ask about “If for some reason the Hud/Closing Statement prints with no line . . . please have the borrowers acknowledge and sign it.” The HUD statement is no longer used for homeowner transactions (perhaps it is still used for commercial transactions, I haven’t done any of those). So this statement seems like it might be left over from the transition period several years ago.

The statement seems to be asking you to make sure the HUD or Closing Disclosure gets signed, even if there isn’t a signature line. Signing these is completely normal. But “acknowedge it” means you ask them if they signed voluntarily for the reasons in the document, or similar wording. When they say “yes”, that’s the acknowledgement. Then you fill out an acknowledgement certificate according to the rules in your state.

But it is not normal to have closing disclosures acknowledged. Maybe that used to be done back in the days of HUD statements, I don’t remember. Maybe this is an out-of-date instruction left over from years ago.

Or maybe by having the CD signed where no signature lines appear it ensures that the signers have reviewed it, received it, and accepted it - an acknowledgement of those facts, and not the “notarial” acknowledgement. Doesn’t necessarily mean notarize it.