Can a non resident be a notary in Ky?

I live in the Tri-state area Kentucky Indiana Ohio and I could be getting signings for Kentucky but I am not a notary and and I was told when I called that you have to reside or have a business that they no longer do special commitment special commission does anybody know anything about this

If the State of Kentucky has answered your question I don’t see how anyone here can help you. The only other thing I personally can think of is if you can become a Commissioner of Deeds and authority covers various states.

If you’re not sure of the answer you got I’d call back and see if you get the same answer or ask to speak with a supervisor or a higher up; sometimes different phone calls yield different answers.

Good luck

Another work around I’ve used is if one of your direct clients has an office(s) in Kentucky, then you can use that as your “work” address.

Seriously? You think this is a good idea? Way to teach a notary to commit fraud - they have to “reside or maintain a place of business” in the state - using someone else’s address doesn’t fulfill that requirement.

Wow…just wow

Yes, it’s perfectly legal. If you’re doing settlements for your direct client in that office, it suffices as a work address.
The quotes around the word work were there bc we’re technically contractors, not employees.

I believe you need to be an “employee” of said company. We are usually considered “sub-contractors” in our line of work (hence the 1099). Employees don’t get 1099’s, they get W-2’s. In short, someone who sets their wage, hours, and chooses the jobs they take on is a subcontractor , while someone whose employer specifies their wage, hours, and work tasks is an employee. Based on this, I don’t believe we fit the bill as an employee, as you can decide whether you want to accept their “wage” or not. I wouldn’t touch this. KY’s recent language on this? What are the qualifications for a notary public?
A notary public must be 18 years of age, a resident of or principally employed in the county from which he/she makes application, of good moral character and capable of discharging the duties imposed upon him/her by law. Being a subcontractor does not fit the definition of “principally” employed, let alone the requirement of a specific county of residency/employment factor being satisfied.

1 Like

PA doesn’t care apparently bc that works for me.
Never hurts to ask.

You are correct. Never hurts to ask. It’s WHO you ask that can get you bound up legally. With state regulated questions like this, if the state SOS didn’t answer the question initially, then they should be following up with the state SOS to confirm anyway (this is “Notary 101” to me).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.