Can I print the borrowers copy all on letter size paper?

Hello tomorrow is my first signing and I would like to know if I can print the borrowers copy all on letter size paper or do I have to provide a copy exactly like they signed?

Thank You

2 Likes

Letter is fine! Good luck and welcome to the industry! ~Adam @thenotaryshow

4 Likes

You can - but you better hope there’s no errors in signatures/dates and you have to pull a page from their package - best to having the packages printed all the same just in case. The pennies you spend are worth the headache you avoid.

16 Likes

Hmm that’s a good point . Thank you. Maybe I shouldn’t do that just yet .

1 Like

If you’re going to do that, be sure to fit the document on letter, do not cutoff, especially the settlement statement with all the numbers.

Printing a second set on legal will be helpful as it is best to swap the page out and have no corrections on any document that will be recorded.

6 Likes

I have tried this as well as copying their copy 2-sided but just like it was mentioned…it took an error at a signing and me not having that copy to swap out to get me back to printing the same as the original. If it is only a few pages of a non-critical document…I may still print all letter size every now and then. You being new…I would wait until you get more experience. Mistakes are going to happen and you may need to swap out that legal size page. Good luck with your business!

1 Like

I fit to letter for borrower copy. However, I print an extra Note, Mortgage and RTC if they are legal size in case there’s an error on the original package….which will happen from time to time.

2 Likes

I used to do double sided copies for signers and it used to confuse and upset them so I stopped doing it and just print regular pages single sided for them.

1 Like

If there are any riders along with the mortgage those are recorded too.

Some signers might not like legal size paper as they might want to put them in a binder or in their filing cabinet. If they complain, you can show them how to make it work. You would fold the bottom only up enough to letter size creating a small flap on the bottom of the page which folders up. This way they can use them in a binder or letter size filing cabinet.

2 Likes

I have a printer and scanner in my truck for such emergencies, but still prefer to print 2 copies on identical paper sizes.

3 Likes

I normally print borrower copies in letter size, and yes I did switched some copy since borrower made a mistake and I had to use their copy. I never heard anything back. I guess all was good.

2 Likes

Not all requests require borrower copies. I’ve gone out with one set many times, they say just print and ship that set, no copy to borrower. Not all will require second set but many do.

Yes always
Saves you $.
And easier for them to store.

2 Likes

I agree with LindaH-FL. Yes! It is best to print it the same, unless instructed to print the borrowers copy it differently.

3 Likes

I ABSOLUTELY would print the documents exactly as the signers are signing. Why? Because signing errors happen and you’ll need to pull that form out of their copies to replace the one the signer messed up. If they’re all letter size you’re in trouble because it won’t be the right size. And don’t trust that you’ll be able to prevent errors by the signers. Some listen and pay attention but many do not.

3 Likes

The best way to do it print both packages as they were sent to you. And present them in the same order to the agency and borrower. This is why the title or signing agencies want to know if you’re able to do dual printing. As to some documents must be on legal size. Never print on both sides whether for the agencies or borrower. The borrower can make an error and you can always swap out. In not following protocol can put you into a lower tier for closings.

3 Likes

Most of my loan packages are sent to me all letter sized nowadays. (1 lender has 1 legal page out of the whole package- the Errors & Omissions/ Compliance Agreement). Which tells me letter or legal is a lender preference not a legal requirement, at least in CA. In fact they will only record Deeds here if they are on letter sized. I always print the borrowers copy on letter sized, and if I have to swap it out then the lender gets a letter sized doc & I’ve never heard back that that wasn’t acceptable. So unless your state has a requirement that certain docs are legal sized I think you’re fine, even if you end up (on a rare occasion) having to swap a letter sized page for a legal sized one.

1 Like

**Actually, letter ONLY if approved in advance by the title company. Some documents must be in Legal

1 Like

Always best to print borrowers copies on the same size paper Incase you have to switch out do to an error. Then you have a good copy.

I have done this as well. If there is an error, I just pull the clients copy and replace with one they made the error on.