Collecting ID copy

I tell them when I confirm also let them know this is a lender requirement and they loan will not fund without it that makes them think. I do not take pics of IDs on my phone. If it’s not inconvenient and I have time I will tell them to take pic with their phone and email it to me but I’m not going out of my way. I have put notes in the docs that they didn’t have it done. And I very much agree that their loan officer should be the one telling them not us.

2 Likes

I don’t print them. I email them back. NEVER had a problem with that.

1 Like

How do you do that at night or weekends when nobody answers the phone to confirm that they’ve received the ID?

You are so right! I am a part time signing agent and after 6 pm you can’t get help.

I thank you all for the suggestions and replies- I know what to do to but I am saying the LO and title and signing companies are getting sloppy with what they tell the borrowers and what they want us to get.

Well, if you’re doing a night or weekend closing and they’re not answering their phones, I would email hiring party that signers will forward copy of ID to title and drop the package.

All due respect - but I would never send borrower ID to FedEx to print - this is a serious violation of their privacy - nor would I send loan packages there for printing OR print at FedEx - the printers have memory in them and the borrower’s personal information is stored there…

If I were you I’d seriously reconsider this practice.

After I make the initial phone contact with the borrower, I let them know they will receive a text from me. Part of that text states, "Please have two forms of valid identification. I will need a copy to return with the documents. If you cannot make a copy, I will take a photo and forward it to the title company.

2 Likes

I take a photo of everyones ID then email it to the signing company. No issues for 2 year now

2 Likes

I just took the NNA training and it said NOT to take pictures of ids with your phone yet lender/ escrow expects it to be done. I’ve done it before when borrowers ask me but I would rather not. So what is the correct way to handle this when borrowers don’t have Ids ready?

2 Likes

No issues until those people become a victim of identity theft and they remember you took a picture of their ID…

Very bad practice - as I stated previously, let the borrowers’ control their own ID - let THEM take a pic and send it to their LO or to title - if they want to hand you a copy to send back with the package that’s one thing…if it’s a case of take a pic and email or text it or whatever, let them do it.

JMO

1 Like

I ALWAYS ask the borrower to take a picture of their IDs and send it to me as soon as I confirm the closing. I use it to (1) See who I’m meeting, (2) prepare docs prior to arriving - which cuts 15-20 minutes off the signing, and (3) upload directly to the Signature Closers portal for the Title Company. I then delete ALL IDs from my phone right in front of them. No-one has objected.

What I have always done is when I make my confirmation call, I remind the clients that I must pick up a copy of their ID as per the lender requirements. Now, if I get there & no copy, I take a picture of it with my phone & either print it to go with the documents or email to title. Remember , we are in a customer service business. I do not argue or complain about it. I just do it. The companies will like me better if the job just gets done. It’s worked like this for me for 30 plus years

2 Likes

Hi Linda, I’m curious how you know that FedEx printers have memory. Respectfuly, Guy

I always ask borrowers to have a photocopy at the time of closing, many times, they forgot, or when they try to print with their printer, this doesn’t have ink, or it is blurry, so I asked them to take a picture with their phones and email to me, I can forward to the title co. or I print a copy then, and include it with the signed package.

1 Like

Been a common bit of information passed on to notaries on various forums over the years; I have no personal knowledge/experience with it because I never use FedEx (or any other outside source) to print; but emailing the ID to FedEx to print is a no-brainer - that’s obvious -

Been doing for 5 years, and YES, you collect the photo ID and/or Powers of Attorney, guardianship papers. Yes, do it. Take pic and electronically send a copy to THE LENDER AND YOUR SIGNING COMPANY. It’s no sweat.

That’s good for you - I do not like to have to take pictures on my phone…

What do you remember when it’s after hours and everyone has gone home? All my appointment are in the evenings.

I have taken photos with my phone. Signers don’t have a problem with it. When I confirm the appt I state I need copies and when they tell me they can’t get copies I take them and send them along in the pkg. So, for me it is never an issue.

I always do whatever needs to be done to make sure the assignment is completed without delays. Of course, sometimes there may be ‘hiccups’ but photos aren’t one of them.

2 Likes