Collection Agency for Notaries & Other Freelancers

Hello, after laboring to collect fees (mostly from signing services) and helping notaries I know and people I “bump into” on platforms like this collect fees that are rightfully owed to them, I realized a few things. Collecting unpaid fees becomes a nightmare where not only is your time taken, but you’re insulted by these companies, and the company will blacklist you because you insist on getting paid for work you have done! (the audacity!) Frankly, it perks me off! After doing this several times, I realized that implementing a methodology or standard to collect these fees would be most efficient and effective.

I think there is a market for this, but I am not sure what the best way to offer services would be. For instance, lets say we offer services on an “as-needed” basis. Meaning that you do a signing for ABC Signing Company and 45 days later you have not been paid when promised to be paid in 30 days. The problem I see with this is that it could actually “cost” more to collect than the entire fee given the lengths needed to collect the fee. However, the alternative is a subscription-based model and I personally hate paying for things I do not use.

The subscription model however, would work to prevent this from happening, potentially track payments and automatically start the collection process if payments aren’t received. I would also like to implement a way to ensure that people are not blacklisted or scored poorly simply because they want to be paid… but I have not yet figured out how to do this. I have never charged for my help drafting letters or emails but if I took this on and worked to build an application that manages the majority of this I would have to charge. Basically I am just looking at getting some feedback to determine if this is something I should look into further and which route makes the most sense. Any thoughts negative or positive are welcomed! Thank you!