Corporate Transparency Act - $500 per day fine

The U.S. Congress put this CTA law in place to control money laundering and other crimes. I have a question I’ve sent to the FinCEN website if Notary Publics are required to submit information as Sole Proprietors who send application documents to the Secretary of State. The requested information is definitely required for LLC’s that some notarys utilize in their business plans. I’ll update as soon as I get the answer.

The deadline to submit to FinCEN is January 1, 2025. Failure to comply will be very serious at $500 per day and possible criminal jail sentence. The CTA was recently found unconstitutional in Alabama but only applies to the plaintiffs in the case. It hasn’t been suspended to the rest of the nation. (see video)

Update: To me it looks like sole proprietor notaries don’t need to do anything unless they are LLC or another business entity filed with the SOS. See their response below.

Thank you for contacting FinCEN. You are receiving this response for ticket number 00048781.

We believe your question relates to:

Is a sole proprietorship a reporting company?

An entity is a reporting company only if it was created (or, if a foreign company, registered to do business) in the United States by filing such a document. Filing a document with a government agency to obtain (1) an IRS employer identification number, (2) a fictitious business name, or (3) a professional or occupational license does not create a new entity, and therefore does not make a sole proprietorship filing such a document a reporting company.

2 Likes

Keep in mind the BOI requirement is facing several law suits or pending law suits. The operatic lady is still waiting to sing.

1 Like

:partying_face::raised_hands: Thank You @CherylM for your thread and the germane direct url links. Also, thank you for your research & the followup data, once you receive it.

:swan:

1 Like

Sole proprietors do not meet the definition of a legal entity customer under the Beneficial Ownership Information Reporting Rule. Since a sole proprietorship is not a separate legal entity from an individual, the rule does not apply to such accounts.

1 Like

True but only the plaintiffs in Alabama are suspended of the rule for now.

Your welcome. Here is the update answer I received.

Update:** To me it looks like sole proprietor notaries don’t need to do anything unless they are LLC or another business entity filed with the SOS. See their response below.

Thank you for contacting FinCEN. You are receiving this response for ticket number 00048781.

An entity is a reporting company only if it was created (or, if a foreign company, registered to do business) in the United States by filing such a document. Filing a document with a government agency to obtain (1) an IRS employer identification number, (2) a fictitious business name, or (3) a professional or occupational license does not create a new entity, and therefore does not make a sole proprietorship filing such a document a reporting company.

1 Like

Yes that’s what I thought when they responded as follows:

Update:** To me it looks like sole proprietor notaries don’t need to do anything unless they are LLC or another business entity filed with the SOS. See their response below.

@CherylM Thank You for your update. Very helpful information. :white_check_mark:

======

Here is some additional helpful infographics from the FinCen website:

SOURCE: BOI Small Compliance Guide v 1.1 - FINAL Noted as Page 24 - albeit it’s on page 31 within the pdf document (reference direct url noted above).

I contacted my local Small Business Center at the local college. As a registered LLC, I was told I had to report. So I did.

Thank you … I’d forgotten about this. My accountant notified me that I’d have to do this, but I am going to wait to see if any of the lawsuits are successful in stopping this ridiculous reporting requirement. In reviewing it, my immediate thought is that this is targeting small businesses as large corporations, including PACS, are exempt from the requirement. When establishing my small business, I was required to provide lots of PII to several entities – the bank, the IRS, the state department of corporations, etc. In other words, by virtue of establishing my business as an individual and not in the name of another business, I have already proven that I am a real person. And read how you change the information if you sell your business. This requirement would be onerous and punitive for small business owners. It needs to be struck down.

According to my account that is not the case. I would file on the safe side.

@utahsignsecure @stephanie4 & ALL Notary Cafe Members . . .

Remember, it’s important to do your own due diligence.

There is an informative PDF available on BOI (see my post above) that will take you through the process of determination.

Here is an additional infographic for elucidation purposes:

SOURCE: BOI Small Compliance Guide - Page 2 (but ios on page 9 within the PDF format).

https://www.fincen.gov/sites/default/files/shared/BOI_Small_Compliance_Guide.v1.1-FINAL.pdf

TO ALL Notary Cafe Members:

Just came across this information . . .

“MEMORANDUM OPINION: The Court GRANTS the Plaintiffs’ Motion for Summary Judgment and DENIES the Defendant’s Motion to Dismiss or Alternative Cross Motion for Summary Judgment. The Court will separately issue a final judgment. Signed by Judge Liles C Burke on 3/1/2024. (AHI)”

SOURCE: National Small Business United et al v. Yellen et al, No. 5:2022cv01448 - Document 51 (N.D. Ala. 2024) :: Justia

Here is the PDF:

Here is a direct url link to the FINAL JUDGEMENT in that particular case in Alabama:

======

Of course, there will be more to follow on this topic as things progress . . .