Craziest Signing Yet

Hey notary fam! I just saw another notary post about her experience with an inappropriately dressed client and it prompted this memory from 2 weeks ago. You guys, I have a doozy for you and I ASSURE you that I cannot make this up!

I went to a closing that was close to an 1.5 away from me; the contracting company almost doubled my fee b/c they couldn’t find anyone else to go up to the mountains to get his deal done. Wihthout making this too long and drawn out, this closing was for an elderly widower who lives LITERALLY on top of a mountain. He is CLEARLY lonely and was ecstatic to have some company (based on his chattiness and oversharing). He has a dog that he let out before we got started. Moments later, the client excused himself and didn’t come back for about a solid 5 mins. Next thing I know his dog started scratching on the glass door and was barking profusely. I called for the client to come back to see about his dog and the next thing I know, I see WHY the dog is losing it. There was a BLACK BEAR on this man’s deck!

When he came back I told him that there’s a bear on his deck and his poor dog was terrified. He laughed it off and said, “I’m surprised it’s only one; usually the whole family comes over!” :face_with_raised_eyebrow: There’s waaaaaayyyyyy more that happened but for the sake of brevity, I’ll leave you guys with that! Yep, a bear came to my signing.

P.S.-the dog was fine and was never even bothered by the bear

1 Like

Yikes! Sounds like you need to start carrying bear spray and pepper spray to your loan closing!

3 Likes

Yep, I was given a can by an attorney friend of mine that travels to the mountains a lot for closings! I wasn’t prepared at all for that craziness; this was the craziest closing to date!

A thing that Fish and wildlife officer told me to scare the bear away, make loud noises by yelling, banging pots and pans or using an airhorn. Make yourself look as big as possible by waving your arms. If you are with someone else, stand close together with your arms raised above your head. Some people said that works other don’t, other people use bear pepper spray if the bear the aggressive bear.

1 Like

I love you for this! Thanks a lot! I’m preferred “mountain” notary (simply meaning that I’m one of only a few notaries in the metro Atl. area that will travel up to the GA mountains for closings), so I’m up there at least twice a week. This helps a lot! Thank you!

You’re welcome! Safety is number one priority

1 Like