Deluxe e-check problems

Is there anyone else having problems with depositing e-checks from your clients? For those of you not aware of this technology, which has been around for a few years now, it is where your hiring company pays you by check (from Deluxe) but the check is emailed to you in a check format so you just print it and cut it to size and deposit it as soon as you receive it through your mobile bank app.

Great idea and very convenient…until things started going wrong about 4 months ago. I am now having about half of my e-checks rejected by my app because they are not being recognized as a valid check. Worse yet, my bank is out of state so I have no choice but to put them in the mail to the Bank By Mail department of my bank. Not my idea of high-tech.

I have also heard of others having difficulty depositing them in their brick-and-mortar banks.This clever, quick and convenient idea has turned into a nuisance while becoming more popular with the payers who never have to cash them.

Do you have a story?

Yes, I had the same problem last week. Tried to deposit into my bank and via app. Both were refused. What a headache. I am receiving some ACH forms from companies that never gave them to me stating issues with E Checks and fraud.

My credit union has NEVER accepted the Deluxe e-checks by app or ATM, the only way I can deposit them is in person at the branch. That isn’t a huge issue for me because my credit union is very close to me and I tend to make most of my deposits in person anyway. I assumed it was because my credit union isn’t very “high-tech,” I’m sorry to hear that others are having problems with e-checks at their banks as well.

Thanks, as always, Klewis. Funny you said that. I just switched from a big name bank to a small credit union. The big bank took the checks through the ATM and the credit Union did not.

1 Like

I actually posted a video on youtube to explain how to avoid this problem. I bank with a credit union also, and they wouldn’t accept the checks until I cut off the bottom portion of the check slightly. Here’s the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_14qBtQuU8

hope it helps.

3 Likes

The reason I say slightly to cut a portion of the white space at the bottom, is because if you cut too close to the routing and bank account numbers the check will still be deemed unreadable.

Cool thank you Admin 2! I will check this out and let you know how it goes

My bank’s app doesn’t recognize them, so it’s a trip through the ATM on Friday, with however many other checks I may have. ATM won’t take them in a stack of regular checks, strangely enough; I have to deposit each one separately.

Yep its the margin at the bottom of the check… Deluxe problem that they should address

I had the same problem, but on inspecting the numbers at the bottom of the check (the micr encoding), the numbers six and zero looked like symbols instead of numbers. The issue was the font not printing as a number. I used a different browser to print the check and the numbers printed correctly and the bank then accepted it.

My only issue is I can’t deposit at my Bank’s ATM. Either go inside the branch or mobile deposit. Never had a problem with either of those options.

I had the same problem depositing these checks on my phone app and even at an ATM. I took one of the e-checks to a branch of my credit union and they said there was too big of a margin on the bottom of the check. They showed me how to cut a portion of the bottom of the check off. Now that’s what I do and I haven’t had any problems depositing my e-checks since.

Hello All
I use BOA and noticed an issue but fixed it by doing the following:
Made sure to not print in economy mode on my printer so the checks are legible ( keeping in mind the image is being scan using decoder if the image is not dark enough it will not understand it)
Next when you cut the check make sure only to cut along the dots and make sure none are left on the check if the check was on perforated paper it would make clean tear.
Secondly make sure you take picture on an dark background it helps the check stand out.
And that the entire check is been captured.

Never cut near the bottom of the check that sends an flag that the check is damaged. Make sure the back of the check is endorsed including the clause “Deposited only by the bank you are with”
Hopefully this helps you all:)