Destruction of Old Stamp

Quick question. I recently renewed my commission for the first time and was given a new commission number. I also went to a different style of stamp (round instead of rectangular). My question is, what is the best way to dispose of my old stamp so it’s not pilfered for use by another? TIA for taking the time to respond

1 Like

I use a narrow paint scraper to scrape the rubber part with the letters off the stamp.

3 Likes

The actual “stamp” portion of my notary stamp is rubber - so I peel that rubber part off and chop it up into little pieces with scissors.

6 Likes

Yes, my process is identical to LindaH-FL =>

Remove the rubber portion of the stamp with the letters/impression component, cut it into small pieces, & discard a few bits into multiple trash cans.

:swan:

3 Likes

Nah. Peel the rubber off. Cut it into some interesting shape. Glue it back on so info is on glue side. Put it into your notary bag and let those kids who just wanna get their hands on your real notary stamp–and their parents don’t discourage this-- play with it…nowhere near the docs… hopefully on nearby walls. :wink:

6 Likes

Same as answers above.

Quickest way to remove the rubber is the narrow paint scraper or chisel, IME.

I fold the rubber into a piece of scrap paper and run it through my shredder.

Main thing is to make sure it is thoroughly destroyed.

1 Like

@Arichter . . . . . :rofl: :grin:

2 Likes

An exacto blade to slice up or cut off the imprint works. This last time I used a little butane blowtorch (the kind you use for flambé) to melt/destroy the imprint outside on the sidewalk before tossing it. A regular butane lighter would work too.

Having a construction background ~ I’m in to power tools. My son-in-law has tools that crush things flatter than a pancake. After taking stamp apart, fun to see heavy equipment drive over it also. Little kid at heart :blush:

3 Likes

I do the same. But I love Arichter idea too!!.

Is the Notary Seal round?

1 Like

UPDATE: Just an FYI, my old stamp is a rectangular Trodat stamp. Using a retractable knife, I first tried to peel off the rubber stamp portion and almost sliced my wrist. No matter what I tried I couldn’t even get a corner to lift. So then I decided to try a small kitchen torch to try to burn the rubber and almost set the dining room table on fire! :rofl: It took several attempts but I was finally able to burn enough of the rubber to obliterate the stamp impression but not before I totally melted the casing! LOL, no one warned of the smell! :grin:

My new stamp is a round Trodat. We’ll see if in 4 years I have the same problems. :blush:

Thank you all for your input. Your suggestions were very helpful.

1 Like

In Hawaii we have to surrender it to the attorney generals office and register our new stamp if it different in any way. I don’t think our commission number changes though.

1 Like

I cut myself getting the rubber off my stamp. It was really stuck on there and very difficult to remove. Just be careful!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.