So, I had a refi yesterday. Got eDocs two days prior. At the table, signer sees CD and says, “Wait a minute, none of these numbers are right.” Long story short, we get on the phone and discover that lender updated CD the day before, but I was never informed/updated.
In speaking with the title company, the rep first says that I should “encourage” the signer to sign the incorrect CD because, “it won’t really matter, he’ll get the right amount back anyway” — huh? Then she says, “Oh shoot, yes there is a new version of the CD, I’ll email it to you now.”
55 minutes and two more phone calls went by before getting that email. Keep in mind its already late in the evening and I’m sitting at the closing table – no access to a printer. Luckily, the signer was able to print for me, but what an ordeal - and it felt so unprofessional. I felt like I was saying, “Hey signer, how about you DIY this loan package.” I know that’s dramatic, lol…
Perhaps the most frustrating part: on the last phone call, the rep told me its likely I will get a “defect” due to late shipping. This wasn’t a conversation that I was willing to have at the closing table, however when I called back after leaving, no one answered. I sent an email asking someone to call me regarding that signing and have yet to hear from anyone 24 hours later.
I feel like there’s so much wrong with this but I have a couple questions/points:
- The “sign it anyway” comment – what in the world?
- Are mobile printers really so common that title companies assume we all have them? Do you have one? What would you have done in this situation?
- I sat there nearly an extra hour – is it unreasonable for me to request an increase in fee? Yes, I had already accepted and agreed to the fee assuming I would be able to complete this signing in the expected time frame. I always pad time, but this went far beyond my expectations.
- How in the world could you possibly fault me for not shipping until today, when the signing was scheduled in the evening, and you sucked up what little time I had for scans and dropping the shipment by waiting for the updated CD that you neglected to give me the day before when you had it?
- Is any of this one me? I can’t imagine anyone considers it best practice for NSAs to re-confirm docs after receipt/printing/etc but if there’s something for me to learn here, I want to embrace that.
I’m seriously dumbfounded by this one.