Do you go over all docs or just the signature ones?

It depends on the platform for instance in snapdocs I upload scan back on there, if its singingorder if you click on documents there is a place to add the pdf files, else i would email

Alicia, please, for the love of all that is Holy, please do not start off your Notarial career cutting corners. Print everything, SHOW the borrowers everything (they are signing papers, sometimes for over half a million dollars, and thirty years of their lives- SHOW THEM THE PAPERWORK). You don’t have to give a long explanation of the things they don’t sign: “this is just a statement of your next taxes, we looked at this on the escrow page, you don’t sign it, so I’ll just flip it, ok?” … and I do this while they are signing something else so there is no lost time. Also, don’t get hung up on doing closings quickly. I’ve done 700+, they take a little less than an hour on average. A little longer if there are furbabies. Take your TIME. Get it RIGHT.

To your scan-back question: scan the WHOLE PACKAGE. There will be a place to upload it on the service’s portal. You may need to split the file into smaller packets so they can accept it. There are several good programs to do that. I use “PDFsam basic” it is an open source program you can download. It offers several options to split the file different ways and save to different formats. Oh, and printing double sided, or all on letter size for the customer copy?? yeah… no. Just, no.

You know more than you think you know. Take your time, read instructions, read the portal pages, READ THE DOCUMENTS. Almost everything you need is there.

6 Likes

So helpful! I want to learn everything I can. I will print all. Should I have a separate dual tray printer and a separate scanner? I am having trouble finding printers and scanners right now, I think, due to backorders. I have a laser printer now and it is a good one, but I would have to separate the legal and letter and then re-sequence them. Maybe I should just order a scanner and use the printer I have, until I can get a dual tray. Appreciate all tips and advice to become professional, Thanks, gjack, Alicia

You can keep switching them out or you can go get a cheap 100 printer and use that for legal size just have them both hooked up and print to the correct one. Does your laser printer have scan capabilities ? If not you will need to purchase a scanner.

that is a great idea, GreenHunter. Do I separate the legal and the letter into separate pdf’s and the send them to the appropriate printer? Yes, I would like to get a good, fast scanner. That would be so much faster. My current printer does not have one of those where you can stack the pages to be scanned. That is why I have been fighting it – hand feeding one by one would be way too time consuming. Do you have a scanner recommendation?

With the Epson- 580 it auto detects the page type automatically, im not sure what your budget is. When I scan back I scan in the order i received the pages. My scanner has a selection for paper type either letter or legal, i scan them on in legal size.

Do you have a page separator software, to detect legal and letter?

No I don’t have software to separate! Thanks for the info on Epson, I am googling it now.
Alicia

its depends on SS I scan the whole package then either upload to platform or email
back. Don’t print front and back and if they ask to make a copy for signer please make a copy.

Regarding the return of the PDF file containing scanned executed documents, if the only option to return this file is email, it’s very important to password protect the PDF file in Adobe when you Save it to protect all their data.

The password you create should be sent to the Title/Escrow/SS in a completely separate email shortly after you accept the Signing Order (that contains the scan requirement), so they’ll have it when they need it.

Also, DON’T identify within the Subject Line the contents of that email; i.e., “password in this email.”

Of course, you NEVER want to include the password in the same email that you use to return the PDF file. :sparkles::blossom:

Can you do that without the paid adobe version?

Depends on the lender. Some just want critical docs scanned, others want the entire package…especially if the signing is close to the weekend

1 Like

Oh wow. That would be more work on them I would think. I just print out the whole doc and only go over the ones that require the signer’s signature.

1 Like

Thanks DD! I am considering leasing a commercial copier/scanner – where you pay only for what you print and they take care of the toner, service and headaches I don’t want to deal with, but realize are professionally necessary. It would be a big step, so I am praying for guidance. Best blessings, Alicia

well they get paid enough

Do not print two-sided. Remember this copy is also your backup. If you need to pull a document to replace one signed incorrectly you cannot submit a double sided document.

Buy a dual tray printer! It’s insane to separate docs into different files. You are in the big league now, do it right. The extra cost is peanuts over the span of your career. My laser dual-tray is 5 years old and going strong. In my case that comes down to 26 cents per signing ($400 divided by 1500).

3 Likes

they cost 700 now and she might not have it

Then buy from eBay when first starting out …can get some great deals if you’re careful who you buy from and research the product closely

I have a dinosaur HP4300tn series still going strong … Paid $80 for it in 2013, shipping included.

If you’re just starting out with no idea if you can make a go of this business … Which from what I’ve read many don’t … Go used first…unless grade to new when your business volume supports it

1 Like

i was always scared to buy from ebay because i purchased a ps4 and was sent two ps2’s