Does the feeling ever go away?

Oh but how it works by “turning the lights on” as far as importance.

1 Like

You know I do…
The very first thing I explain is my duty and responsibilities… what I can do and what I cannot do.
Then I explain their process. How to sign their name as shown or required by the lender… date where indicated only…blah, blah blah
Then I ask how they want to proceed as I highlight each document (present only signature page or whole document for review prior to them signing) 99% say just signature pages only.
Then I share with them as they give me the signed document I double check that it is signed and dated correctly by then removing the flags.
Last I confirm with them the time that it will take to move forward with this process.

So far :blush:

We control the flow from start to finish. Getting their signing done efficiently and perfectly is important, anything else a side show.

1 Like

Out of the almost 100 signings I have done I have had only 4 issues with borrowers not allowing me to follow my process. That was when I first started… not any more. I walk in like a boss… talk like a boss…sit at the head of the table like a boss…and take over the process like a boss… hence my Neo theme song. “Miss Independent “

Yep, yep, do it like a boss.

1 Like

I recommend not banking on that. We “TRY” to control the flow. I believe someone else brought up the “soccer game” scenario in a previous post. The signer will agree on a date and time (6:00PM on March 26th) with the lender, but 9 times out of 10 the borrower didn’t consider, nor tell the lender about the soccer game at 7:00PM on the same day. The lender also (most times) doesn’t know or care how long it takes for us to do a particular signing. And the last thing the borrower is going to do is tell their kid they can’t make the soccer game on time. Fortunately, it’s not our problem on how the communications did or didn’t work out between the borrower and the lender, but if the borrower is hell bent on making the soccer game, they’re going to have to make another call to the lender. So it comes down to 2 choices, be late to the soccer game, or pay me to come back when soccer is over!

1 Like

Good point. I honestly have never been in that situation but I always send out a friendly reminder of their appointment the night before and ask to let me know if any changes ASAP. I noticed that they are usually the ones who are willing to accommodate with my schedule:) :crossed_fingers:t3:

1 Like

It’s been to my experience, the later the appointment, the more chances of “rushing” by the borrower will happen (for whatever their reason). The worst is those trying to do it while they are at work (whether they are working in their office or virtual from home). Trying to “double dip” and get paid to do personal stuff. What a mess that is!

2 Likes

True. I had one who tried to make breakfast but I put a stop on that one pretty fast.

1 Like

I don’t know about anyone else, but I am the boss in my house no matter who is visiting in it or why they are in it. Their money is on the table (converted from Green & White to Black & White). As stated previously, if they are hell bent on making that soccer game, and I tell them no by insinuating “I’m the boss,” it’s not going to go over well for me. Just like they set the date/time, they have the same right to kill or even shorten that request. After all, they are the customer, and you know what they say about “the customer.” And it’s because of that very reason that “they” set the date and time of the signing, that I am not the boss. I tell them to call the lender to reschedule, I follow up with a call, the rest is between them and the lender. Accommodation is an integral part of customer service. Way too much competition out there for a lender to take away the accommodation factor. (IMO)

A good boss is a good leader and leader leads through influence. It is truly a skill that I have mastered after managing a bank branch and my own business. You walk in like a boss only means that you walk with confidence and purpose in a professional manner. It starts there… You talk like a boss… means you speak clearly confidentially it does not mean to take command and be inflexible. You sit like a boss means you sit at the head of the table… sit straight and have your things organized….

That’s how I do business like a BOSS

3 Likes

100% agree. But to me, all of this portrays presenting the “image” of a boss. Having the “authority” of a boss is a different concept. We have too many “customers” in our line of work (Lender, TCo, Escrow, SS, Borrower/Signer). At the end of the day, who are we “really” the boss of? As a lender, I’m not giving up 4% on a $500k loan because my “customer” want’s their kid to make the soccer game. There is always that second chance that can save the transaction, and save the relationships and reputations for all by just saying "hey, we can’t have any more (soccer-like) scenarios on the next trip, so plan and prep accordingly. Like I said in a previous post, this discussion (on time allotment) should come from the lender when they are scheduling with the borrower, but either they don’t know, or don’t care. Bottom line, I don’t think I’m getting paid enough to “be a boss” considering such.

1 Like

“Like a boss” being referred on here is just a phrase/slang, as to say to do the job well with confidence and professional, not being someone’s boss, or to be bossy, rude and unprofessional at someone’s home or bossing over their situation!:joy:

3 Likes

I gotcha! I’m right there with ya. Just didn’t want one to think that ones confidence and professionalism can dictate another’s priorities, commitments or schedule. That “money on the table” scenario works for me every time. Borrowers just know what they want, but they rarely know what’s at stake most of the time. LIKE A BOSS!

1 Like

I am confident that 99.99% of notaries new and old are very professional and understanding. They know how to handle every situation perfectly, otherwise they wouldn’t be where they are today. We all know that the “customer is always right!” We have to be professional, flexible, willing to accommodate at all times. Do it “like a boss”. If we don’t, all it takes is one small complaint and we’ll be out on the street holding the cardboard signs! Ok, that’s a little extreme but you know what I mean.

1 Like

Yes Ma’am. I here ya 100%.

1 Like

I am interested in getting a PDF copy of this :slight_smile:
info@justpenandinknotry.com

1 Like

You can get that exact forms from NNA:). I used to use that but when I got crazy busy I abandoned it. No time to fill out or check off all that stuff!! :joy:.

1 Like

If you get your NSA training through NNA. They send that out via mail.

I would love a copy please! arnotarynow@gmail.com
Thank you!

1 Like