Does the feeling ever go away?

I work with a title company that has been good to me in sending me business. I am so so paranoid about my packages that I send them not passing their audit it causes me sleepless nights on occasion.

I am meticulous and I check triple and quadruple check everything before I ship it off.

Does this feeling ever go away? I am so paranoid about losing their business.

1 Like

This may help: Prepare a colorful chart that includes all the various elements of a signing that you agonize over. Insert a little box in the lower right corner of each element and as you complete the signing, or better still, after you’re done and you are checking your work, place a little check mark in the box telling yourself that that element of the job is completed. Below is a sample of what I use for myself.

9 Likes

Thank you @Bobby-CA i will try doing something like that.

Yeah, experiment and play around with it. I found that my work is more ‘thorough’ and I am now down to just two sight verifications; one after I complete the signing whilst I’m at the table and once quickly before I bag the docs with FedEx. In the last four months, I missed a date on a Patriot Act form, that’s it! Happens :grimacing:

2 Likes

So far all my packages have passed their audits but it still makes me nervous on the day I know the packages are delivered
 I’m a nervous wreck :cold_sweat:

You need a Bromo, kid. You’re rightfully very confident in all the other work you do. Look, maybe call the favored title company and tell your principal contact there that you’re working very hard to do the job properly and that your personal performance standards are very high. If you should make an error or overlook something, you’d appreciate some grace and a phone call letting you know what’s up. Then, of course, fix it promptly.

Demonstrate that you really do care about such things and you want to strengthen your relationship with them. No gifts, no candy or donuts, just honest integrity.

1 Like

I agree with what @Bobby-CA said. You want that courtesy call that something may be off, but you don’t want to sound (to them) that your not confident with what you do at the same time. You also don’t want to burn all your time (labor) on a particular signing (before and after), as it eats up your profit. For me, that initial prep when I print the docs is where I get rid of that “feeling” because any concerns I have I will address with the client prior to going to the table. I will admit, I am at a point in my “confidence” where I literally do a quick scan through the PDF when I get it, then print and go. No flags or sticky notes unless there is an odd ball doc I never seen before in my initial scan through. The fact you have had flawless packages thus far alone should eliminate a lot of this “feeling,” but as we all know, different clients have different expectations. I just focus on the instructions sent to me and do my part as the Notary. Obviously this is not a secret, but most mistakes are due to not following the instructions and/or the Notary didn’t do their part on the “act” side and “filling in the blanks.” The rest is make sure the “blanks” (like signature lines/dates and such) don’t get returned blank, boxes are checked, and initials where required are there. It cracks me up on where some NSA’s look to the POA’s/Correction Agreements to bail them out. That is more for the lenders/TCo to correct errors they may have made on the docs or the borrower made (not checking the right box on something specific to their transaction/situation). It doesn’t apply to a missing signature/initial/date. The more work we make for them by correcting things (that don’t require a returned trip) equals less work for us going forward (depending on how “picky” they are). I can say this, if they send out a different NSA to clean up after you, it’s never a good sign (request goes out for the same borrower/address you have recently been too). It could be good (redraw) or it could be bad, but in either case, why not give it to the same NSA who is already familiar with the borrower and transaction? That’s where that “feeling” you discussed hits hard to the gut. Admittedly, that has happened to me twice in my tenure (over 10 years), and I honestly never inquired as to why. They didn’t call me, so I “assumed” they didn’t want me. If they are “decent” enough to notify you of a “flag” on you for something outside of this, then the burden of proof is on them that it was your fault to get you to go back for free.

1 Like

You could just scan and email before dropping for a faster thumbs up.

But don’t wait for the “thumbs up” to drop if it wasn’t asked for!

2 Likes

I’ve tried that and they still wait for the original to arrive before final approval

Yep. After decades, you’re on autopilot.

1 Like

I have this prep sheet that I used when I 1st started off. Created some good habits for me professionally. Those habits has me on auto pilot now. Just stay confident & believe in yourself. If anyone needs a PDF of these sheets send me a direct message with your e-mail. :+1:

2 Likes

I have that but found it not to my style

1 Like

You’ll be fine! Let it go. Yes, that nerve-racking feeling will go away. Just remember, do not let them intimidate you and persuade you into fixing something that is not allowed in your state. When they ask you to fix something that’s already been done, you want to carefully assess the situation and do the right thing. For example: Once you left the signing table you cannot create new certificate and stamp anything without the client appearing in front of you or via RON again. They do that to new notaries . Sometimes the loan already closed and funded and then weeks or months later they go back to the notary and ask to provide an Acknowledgment without the customer present for loan that was already closed. Sometimes, they lost the certs or need one for something else and will try to get you to give another one without the client’s present. Don’t fall for that.
Yes, do offer to fix by offering to meet with the clients again and of course always use the current date, not backdate stuff, if mistake is yours, you eat the fee, if mistake is not yours, you charge another closing fee. Protect yourself.

3 Likes

Just be sure and recheck everything before you leave the appointment carefully. Don’t rush. I have found that is the best way. Back in the super refi days I often found signers in a big hurry to rush me out the door. I had to do a lot of explaining that they had to be a bit patient and wait for me to check to make sure nothing was missed. As you become more experienced you will relax and not worry. That being said, there could be an occasional miss. We are human. It shouldn’t happen very often though.

2 Likes

You are so correct. When I’m at the table, I tell borrowers who are “hasty” to look at the paperwork like its their cash spread out all over the table and I have to count it and send it back to the bank, and if it comes up short, you will just have to see me again!

2 Likes

Love this
. I’m going to definitely use that!!!

1 Like

You are brave to even try that line
:joy:

I will put my own spin on it
 but I get the point he is making and I think they will too

Just be professional as you are. Just show up like a boss and nobody even try to mess with your schedule:) :joy:

1 Like