Dominican Republic Passport

Does anyone know if a Dominican Republic Passport is a valid ID in the State of South Carolina?

what does your state sos say? In IL, we can accept any form of government id, it doesn’t tell us specifically if it has to be a USA govt issued document, so I’ve been accepting all passports.

1 Like

Yes any passport is valid . As per patriot act, the Valid visa by usa will also serve as Identity… So the passport and the visa inside that passport , issued by USA are as good as gold.

Just make sure both the dates in the passport and visa have NOT expired

1 Like

Notaries are regulated by states, not by the federal government. The USA Patriot Act is a federal law. The federal government lacks the authority to specify what ID notaries commissioned by the several states (or political subdivisions thereof, such as counties) must use as valid ID. Notaries must check with their state officials to find out what ID is acceptable in each notary’s state.

Agree with Ashton regarding following your state guidelines on identification. However when states are ambiguous, as is case in my state of New Jersey. The government manual, refers me to National Notary Association, (a private entity) to determine what type of Identification is acceptable. By extension, this guideline,allows the notary make a fair and reasonable assessment of what is acceptable and to be able to substantiate it. Isn’t that incredulous.

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/revenue/dcr/geninfo/notarymanual.shtml
Identification Standards for Notaries/How Statutory Identification Guidelines Deter Document Fraud. National Notary Association, Canoga Park, CA.

A few months ago , a new form of ID went into law. All Drivers license will also have a federal identification verification.
Lacking such , those Identification was not considered valid for example board a plane or enter a federal facility.

NJ has a 6 point identify verification system that includes also doing a federal verification.
Some states issued ( or at least issued in the past) a DL or NON-DL ID without verifying the immigration status or legal residency status and issuing to illegal aliens. Also Citi Bank in California decided to fund mortgage for someone even illegal status. I am not sure if any notaries faced such a situation. How would one resolve it? Perhaps a different topic all to-gether.

So Notaries can use federal guidelines (which is superior to a state’s identification system) or use a lower standard set by states, such as accepting a Non Driver ID may or may not be federal id verified.

notary_narayan wrote

So Notaries can use federal guidelines (which is superior to a state’s
identification system) or use a lower standard set by states, such as
accepting a Non Driver ID may or may not be federal id verified.

I interpret this as meaning that if a notary’s guidelines are vague, the notary might use a federal guideline, as long as it is stricter than the state requirements. Some states let a notary decline to notarize for any reason at all. But some states require the notary to notarize unless there is a good reason not to, and a federal guideline wouldn’t be a good reason, because it is not binding on notaries.

Some states have stricter requirements for foreign passports; they might not be allowed at all, or they might have to be stamped by USCIS, or they might have to have a physical description of the passport holder (most passports don’t). So if the state requirements are stricter than federal guidelines, the notary must follow the state requirements.