E-sign question; not RON

I need advice about e-signing, where you meet with the signers, not a RON.
I’ve had a subscription (or whatever it’s called) to DocuSign for years. If I accept a job requiring e-signatures, can I use DocuSign, or will the signing service or title company tell me which e-sign platform I’ll need to use?

While searching through the forums, I found a post where I learned that in Texas, I can only use one e-sign platform; if I understood it correctly. I couldn’t find anything saying how I’ll know which platform to use.

Since I’ve never done one, I want to be ready for when I get the opportunity. I know I need to get an approved electronic stamp, but first I’m trying to figure out if I’ll need to subscribe to another e-sign platform.
Thank you for your help.

3 Likes

My impression is that, in practice, nobody does in-person electronic notarizations (IPEN) for real estate closings. Signings services almost always contact notaries with requests to do real-estate related closings, and hardly ever for other stuff. (The other stuff is often called general notary work.)

Since nobody does it, there is on need to gain access to an additional platform.

Thanks so much! I’m glad that’s one less I need to be concerned with. The reason I thought loans were e-signed (at least semi-regularly) is because e-sign is included in the list of abilities on some signing service websites. I appreciate your help.

2 Likes

I think the e-sign offers are those that would be what is normally called a hybrid signing. That is where you take a laptop to the signing to have the signers electronically sign all the documents that would not require notarization and then wet sign and notarize those documents that do require notarization. I’m not sure if you would need to be an electronic notary to handle that type of closing but would recommend that you check with your state to see what is allowed.

My experience is that when requests are made for an electronic notary, the companies and individuals are looking for a RON (remote online notarization) notary. I have done a lot of those and in Virginia, you are required to have specific technology in place as well as be commissioned as an electronic notary in order to handle that type of notarization.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ve read about hybrid closings, and kind of understand them, but not totally. It’s good if the docs that are e-signed don’t get notarized; that means not needing a digital stamp. I appreciate your help!

FYI ~ people working in Title are even confused regarding hybrid signings. We have a scenario where every state has different laws and different RON - Hybrid signings and software. States need to work together for consistency but I don’t see that happening any time soon. Also want voting process to be same in every state and that is also a pipe dream. We move forward in dealing with what is in front of us today. Good luck!

3 Likes

I recently signed up with Notarize24/7 in anticipation of possibly needing to be ready to start the e-signings, etc and I am still confused. I had to first get approved by Notarize24/7 and once that was done, through their link to PAVASO, I was able to get “trained”. They are the platform that Notarize uses for any e-signings or RON. Now I find out that my state ¶ does not approve/recognize the PAVASO vendor for e-signings or RON. My state does approve DocuSign, and the only signing company (and I can’t remember which one) offer for a DocuSign signing, I couldn’t accept since I don’t have my digital stamp yet…this whole thing is very confusing. I hope to see some collaboration and streamlining soon. Good luck to you in finding your way through the murk.

1 Like

What state are you in? Important to go to state websites to see approved platforms and follow their applied guide lines first. I am in WA State and lot of information on main website.

I teach classes on E-sign to notaries.

Thank you, and good luck to you, also!

Thanks! I totally agree that consistency would be a good thing.

Great question, you have to make sure your state accepts RON, you can call NNA RON Dept and asked them which platforms are in your state, they’ll email you a list, great luck, let us know if you gain any luck. Thanks!

Hey Pam1, great question. This is the area I have been learning about over the last year. I will share what I have found out. I have used DocuSign. I believe their signing format is considered a digital signature different than electronic signature. In any case research both electronic and digital signing. However the company that needs the documents might accept electronic and digital signatures same way under the e signature umbrella. If you meet the signer and it is something you are independently helping them with, I would have them sign a separate consent to sign electronically.

In my state you can get an electronic endorsement to do e-docs but they still have to be physically present for any notary work during the e signing. For RON it is another endorsement, you can be fully remote with this. For e-signature only I don’t think it matters to have your electronic endorsement unless your state has specific rules for electronically signed documents.

Thank you, Irina, I’ve been sitting here this afternoon reading more about the differences in e-signatures and digital signatures. (Silly me, I thought they were the same thing. :wink:) A perfect example of learning something new each day. I really just want to be prepared to do whichever signature involves having the signer sign in person, even though it may be done electronically. I’m not ready for RON, yet; I think that would make me nervous. I’ve used DocuSign multiple time with my real estate, but have never signed using their notary feature. I’m trying to find out how much more it will cost to add the notary feature to my membership.

1 Like

DocuSign notary feature might be something to look into and whether a notary can offer this. A few RON providers I connected with extremely under pay the notary. One offered me $5 for the seal when my state fee is $25 for the electronic seals. I wonder if you can use docusign notary for your own business without a middleman? And if it needs states RON requirements, my state still is pretty new to all this too.

I think the docusign notary might be something interesting and more options for notary work.

1 Like

I’m in Texas and on the SOS website, it describes RON requirements. I haven’t spent too much time researching it, as I’m still very unclear about the process of verifying signers.
I’ve been reading about e-signatures, that could be needed at an in-person signing. To quote someone who often posts in these forums, I feel like I’ve been “reading til my eyes bleed.” (No offense to anyone with eye problems; it was just an expression.) There is truly so much to learn, and I’m ready to know it all, right now. :blush:

Irina, You made me think of a question. Is there a fee every time we use an electronic seal, or just the one time fee to get the seal?

B, That is a good suggestion to look up which electronic platforms are allowed to be used in my state, which is Texas. I’m just trying to get ready for e-signings, or hybrids (not that I thoroughly understand what a hybrid is). I’m not ready to take the plunge into RON, yet.

In WA a notary can charge $25 per each electronic seal provided to the customer.

To get the digital seal there’s a one time fee until it is expired. NNA offers one but I have no idea if it’s DocuSign compatible and acceptable.

I am not sure how DocuSign charged for this.

1 Like

Looks like DocuSign is RON approved. If you have your RON credentials as a notary and your state allows it, seems like a good option.

It seems more simple to use than some of the other RON (more newer) programs I’ve looked into. DocuSign is a long time signing software, probably will have less issues than some of the new RON signing software out there.