First signing disaster

My first signing was a complete disaster. I called a signing company and asked for their business and the kindest woman took pity on me and moved me up to one of their favorites and I secured my first refinance. Don’t even get me started on the printing job, needless to say i wasted about 400 sheets of paper but i managed to print and prep the document accordingly. When i got to the signing, the woman was nice but she was an aggressive reader and refused to sign the additional signatures on the signature page because she said that signing the additional signatures would negate the legality of the “actual” signature on the loan documents. In addition, she was not going to sign “never known as” as well because she had been known by those additional names. We tried contacting the lender, and their closing agent was out with a COVID scare so after about 30 min we finally got a sales mgr on the phone but she still refused to sign it. When i got home and uploaded the docs, the signing agency of course called me and told me the package was incomplete. I explained her position and they said, ‘well, we’ll send it off to the lender and see what they say’ Since then I completed one more signing for them, but other than that,with them AND with snapdocs…nothing. I keep getting texts from this Closing Exchange but the second i hit accept, its gone. I feel like giving up, im in the hole with all of this equiptment and training for about 1k and so far I cant see the light at the end of the tunnel, in such a sunken place right now

3 Likes

Oh honey! I’m sorry you had to put up with that. Let me start with this. Don’t quit! Don’t allow someone else’s insecurities determine who you are as a professional. I know when you are new but it seems new folk tend to attract the worse people and situations out there. I’d be lying to you if I said this will never happen again and you will have worse people to work with, ask me how I know. In this industry we must grow up to be a monster; right now you are in diapers, and have no teeth. You must grow teeth and thick skin that’s a sign you are maturing. Best part of that you have ultimate control. SO start by being less nice, that is you need to be bold, straight forward, and never let them know you are new, and be the best this industry has to offer. At some point you’ll be the go-to-notary, trust me.
Now, in regards to that signing company; honey, there are tens of thousands SS out there that will be lucky to have you as their NSA. What happen at that one signing let that be a lesson, meditate on it and come up with ways to improve upon. OK? So chin up. Don’t give up. As you are growing in this industry you need to learn a lot. You must master your craft and learn to be comfortable in uncomfortable situations. Many blessings to you and happy holidays

21 Likes

I receive that and thank you so so so so so much because that is EXACTLY what I needed to hear. I will soldier on and mature :muscle: Its that I’ve watched so many videos on LSA that have 3,4,5 signings a day and making all this money and how they have to turn down signings that I’m wondering if in my state (NJ), the market is just saturated. I was a paralegal and general notary for many years but this is a whole new animal! NJ as of tomorrow will take effect on RON and im wondering if I should just go ahead and move to that field or keep persuing this LSA thing…any thoughts? Sorry to keep pestering you. Thanks for your kind words and advice

3 Likes

Wow! What you said on here is so true. The diapers comment made me smile. True, we all need to take control in all we do. Gotta grow some mean teeth! :joy:. Love it!

2 Likes

you are most welcome. One thing I’d like to share with you is this. Remove from your mind that there is such a thing market saturation (that idea comes from mediocre NP and NSA who long time ago quit being their best and that’s a sign they are scared and they should be)and the other idea is competition out there. Regardless of the amount of notaries out there, not all of them do what you do. Being a NP or NSA is not monolithic career like an assembly line worker; that’s the beauty of our industry. Nevertheless it’s important that you must become the go-to-NSA. Lastly, the only person you must compete with and compare yourself with everyday is YOU not some stranger out there (that’s employee mentality, get rid of it). The moment you realize that, you’ll be invincible and the sky will be the limit.

10 Likes

Ok you’re just blowing me away here, I think you need to change career paths and become a life coach/motivator cause I would pay for that class! Right after our last exchange, I got an offer from TCX for a refi for $65 (seasoned LSA’s- don’t throw rocks) I know I need to take these low ball offers to gain experience. Im practically paying them for the closing for whats its costing me in gas (80 mi in total…i know i know :roll_eyes:) but its either that or nothing. RON…your thoughts?

1 Like

You do you for now, I started low don’t feel guilty! I learned a lot on those signings I’m still growing teeth (lol) I’m only 6 months in. I’m getting a lot of different offers, I’m learning on how to pick and choose soon enough you will to. GOOD LUCK

3 Likes

Thanks for the words of encouragement, means so much! Soon we’ll have a full set of teeth…CHOMPERS to bite down on all that cash (good Lord willin and the creek don’t rise :rofl:)

1 Like

NO! Either negotiate them up to an acceptable fee or decline - you do NOT have to take that

JMO

4 Likes

I couldn’t resist! :joy:

1 Like

Ducks and hangs head in shame I think I’ve found my people :rofl:

2 Likes

You are correct and I completely understand. Since I’ve already accepted at that fee, there isn’t much I can do but just use it as experience. I will definitely negotiate a higher fee in the future especially as I become more familiar with the process. Thanks!

Look, most of us have been there. My first signing was with Notary Go and it was a complete disaster. From printing the docs to missing signatures to missing stamps. I was a complete embarrassment to the NSA industry. There’s no way I would’ve even hired me lol.

Keep your head up, keep pressing on and make Youtube your best friend. There are many many free document videos there. One of which is excellent and very in depth is Coast2Coast. Search them on Youtube and watch their videos. Hang in there, you’ll do great.

3 Likes

Thats great advice and not that I’m glad to hear your first signing was a disaster but it makes me feel a lot better knowing I’m not the only one :grin: I’ve reached out to coast 2 coast but I should probably follow up. YT has been my bff throughout this whole process but its easy to get a lot of misinformation as well about this business. I think I spent a week just watching printer videos that I almost went insane :crazy_face:

2 Likes

What kind of printer do you have

Linda is right. N E G O T I A T E. Don’t take 1st chump change offer or you’re part of the problem.

2 Likes

I had to get the hpm4040dw basically because all brother printers were sold out so far it prints out pretty fast but does go into sleep mode rather quickly and takes a moment to “wake uo”

1 Like

I understand and again it was either take the low fee signing or no signing at all and I can use the experience. I’m not meaning to be a part of the problem but not everyone’s financial situation is the same and if it comes down to some money and experience or NO money and no experience, I think I made the right choice. I will learn and get better and will not water down the industry I promise. Just looking for some grace and direction along the way.:blush:

3 Likes

I am new also. I have been doing modifications and a few Heloc’s which are all pretty simple. I’m a little nervous when I see a purchase come thru since I haven’t done it. I’m getting low ball 40 and 50 offers where I kept countering back and days would go by not getting anything. I had to start taking them here and there because like you said it’s hold out for money and get nothing or get some money and experience. I’m hoping when I amass some numbers with these companies I can negotiate and actually get the assignment. I’ve only gotten from ExpressNotary and Snapdocs. They make the whole of my orders which are only 17 in about 2 a half weeks. I love this forum tho it has helped a lot.

2 Likes

I appreciate your words but I’m fine where I’m at right now. I love it when I meet new NP and LSAs i like to come around and help them feel welcome.
Here’s the thing. I know we are all here because we want to make money and there money to be had but you must be patient. As a new NSA you must master your skill and how you do it is by getting under your belt 100 signings of all types in no time. That means accepting any low-ball jobs that are far from home and dealing with difficult signers and slow SS payers. Consider this part as boot camp. Once you’ve hit this number you will have accumulated so much knowledge and experience that will catapult you to the next phase or itll make you say to hell with this; I’m out. Assuminging you stuck around now is when you are start to be picky with your jobs, you decide what SS companies to continue to work with and how far you go and what companies you’ll never want to see again. You’ll learn what your time and expertise is worth and your clients will be glad to pay it and slowly but surely you’ll see your income increase. Ask me how I know. I don’t want to overwhelm you. Be patient with yourself :wink:

6 Likes